MalMac

Kohler Mag 14 valve seat

MalMac

Got a Kohler Mag 14 that is getting a rebuild. I noticed on the intake valve seat that the face is not the same width all the way around. The area where the seat makes contact with the valve is way thinner toward the cylinder side. Now this motor is a low hour motor. Had a ring break in it and needed hone and new piston. Anyway I was suprized at the uneven wear on the valve seat. I have another mag tore down and it's identical. So I got to wondering if they are suppose to be that way. The valve looks to be in great shape.

oldredrider

The valve seats should be the same all the way around. Uneven seats may cause burning or bending of the valve over time. I just had two K blocks machined (bored and new seats cut) and the seats are symmetrical.

WH nut

Remove the valve and clean things up. Get some Prussian Blue ( permatex num. 80038) and put on the valve. Install into seat with light pressure and see where the seat contacts the valve and see if its even

specialwheelhorse

I'm with everyone here but perhaps Kohler goofed

Or made them this way to induce the valves to rotate

As they should. Who knows very smart folks at Kohler.

MalMac

specialwheelhorse I am kinda with you on this, was it a goof on Kohlers part or was it designed. The fact I got two Mag 14 the same way was it a design thing. On all the K's they are the same all the way around. I kind of nervous of having it recut. Not sure what to do. The shop manual just refers to the same dimension all the way around. When you look at it, it looks as if it was cut that way. Does not show any signs of abnormal wear.

Fordiesel69

Are the stems loose in the guides?  If it is there is your answer.  I looked at some pics of my 261 hr M14 and they are not like this. 

MalMac

The guides are in good shape and in tolerance. Matter of fact the engine is in great shape. Low hour. Just had the ring go bad and was blowing oil. I did some more checking and the valves seat really well. The valve stems are right at what new specs are. Just worried that if I have them re-cut like I said, it will goof up a good thing. Wonder If I got in contact with Kohler if they would give me the time of day on this subject.

Fordiesel69

Just a thought, my diesel seats were super wide, and had a huge contact area.  After 130,000 they machine shop said they were not worn, but rather wider from factory so they can dissipate heat better.  It is possible that kohler did this on a portion of the seat to allow better heat transfer, and like others said to force rotation.