shawnk

need help running a 314-A

shawnk

This tractor was given to me with no manual. It starts and drives but how do I engage the mower? Sorry for the dumb question. I've never had a mower like this?

clip

Lever on the right hand side of the dash, connected to a rod leading to the pulley on the right side of the engine. Make sure the belt is properly routed around the mule drive as seen below. I run my belt on the inside groove closest to the engine.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=230842&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1348768278

Edited by clip

shawnk

I thought thy may be the correct lever.when I put it forward, it doesn't engage though. Maybe it's not routed right. I will compare it to the picture you posted for me. thank you or the help. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions on his tractor.

clip

Make sure the threaded boss is adjusted correctly. Try removing the cotter pin and spinning the boss onto the shaft, to the rear of the tractor, one or two turns at a time until it engages reliably. You'll see it pull the pulley towards the engine more as the boss is threaded further. I think someone will post the link to the manual here in a bit if you haven't located it yet. If you have a 42" or 48" mower deck similar to mine, the model number is 05-42MS03 or 05-48MS03 respectively. Should get you close enough for basic operation.

shawnk

Ok. I have found two things out this morning. Most importantly, my tractor is a 312-A. Not a 314-A. Sorry about that mistake. When I throw the lever forward for the mower deck engagement, it engages the clutch but the belt seems to be too long, so it just does not run with the pulley. Is there any tensioning for the belt or do I just replace it? What is he lever the says PTO do? I need to find a manual I guess I learn buy this tractor. So far, I really like this compared to my junky craftsman.

boovuc

There should be a "mule drive" with a belt adjuster at the front of the tractor with two pulleys on it. With the deck in the down position for mowing and the engine OFF, crank the handle on the mule drive until the belt tightens. If the round knob is broken off, in the center front of the mule drive, there should be a little "sticky-outy-thing" that you can get a pair of vice grips on and rotate it in. This move the mule drive away from the tractor and puts tension on the belt.

PS...."sticky-outy-thing" is a real part name. I looked it up! 

Attached pic shows a 520-H with a mule drive and proper belt routing.

post-940-0-63638400-1430573007_thumb.jpg

Edited by boovuc

gwest_ca

Here is the tractor operator manual

This may not match your mower but installation is the same

Garry

shawnk

Thank you for the links. They helped a great deal. I got the belt tensioned An mowed some. I'm not suse the this mower is a good fit for my needs though.I live on a fairly steep hill So mowing is a challenge.this mower is hydrostatic and wants to drift out so I have to keep my Hand on the lever. After an hour of mowing, it lost power to pull up the hill. I'm guessing the fluid needs changed or topped off.I had tree branch wedge in the deck belt and made it come off. I cannot get it back on and one of the pulley covers has stripped screws, so I can't get it off. How does the deck drop out so I can fix these things?

shawnk

Ok. I got the deck dropped and removed. How does the deck belt go on? I removed the idler pulley but still can't get enough slack to get the belt on. It seems like the belt is too short, but its the one that was on it. It just came off when a stick wedged in there. The numbers are gone from my deck but the blades are 14" long. Rear discharge. I'm guessing 42" cut.