callum12

C-series transaxle dimensions

callum12

Hi all,

could anyone tell me the following sizes or know where i could find them?

distance between mounts on the axle casting, overall length, width of main gearbox part (not including axles) and overall height.

thank you very much,

callum

groundhog47

You may have gotten a pm on this; even so will try and get you some sizes (tape measure if that might help). Am unsure of whether you mean mount holes or where frame for seat holes (case to frame), but will go for that now. 

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

groundhog47

Callum, I'm neither a draftsman nor engineer, but did at one time stay in Holiday Inn :handgestures-thumbup: . This is very rough to say the least, but may answer some of what you asked in the attached pic. :wh:

post-8388-0-45063500-1430677518_thumb.jp

• Like 3

stevasaurus

A very nice drawing Mate...I did not have an 8 speed laying around to measure from.  Love those Holiday Inns.  :)

callum12

thank you very much for taking the time to do that, its perfect.

do you have the dimension from the front to the centre of the axles?

one thing though, it's not looking so good for my bank account! I reckon the tranny will fit and the project will go ahead. In fact it will fit so well i'm beginning to think the A-800 shares the same chassis as a the B-series, some of those have uni-drives and vert engines don't they??

thanks again,

Callum

stevasaurus

There are no Wheel Horse Uni-Drive transmissions on any vertical shaft horses.  :)

bmsgaffer

There are no Wheel Horse Uni-Drive transmissions on any vertical shaft horses.  :)

There are no 8 speed versions. (I am pretty sure unidrive name still applied to the hydro transmissions, not totally sure though)

It appears the B-115 vert shaft tractor used the eaton 700... the IPL makes it look like an eaton 700 with the unidrive rear end...

Also, an 8-pinion diff! :scratchead:http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/4536-tractor-1983-b-115-auto-da-tiplpdf/ (pages 5, 14, 34 on the PDF)

Might not be to hard to convert that to an 8 speed or even easier an Eaton 1100...

stevasaurus

Yah Brandon, I am not positive if that statement is entirely accurate...and I was not thinking of hydros.  To me the Uni-Drive is the Wheel Horse 3 speed transmission...5007,5025, 5046, 5048, 5049, 5053 and the 5045, 5047, 5051, 5059 and 5058.  I base it on the manual, which only uses the word Uni-Drive in the title in Section II.  :)

I think the hydros are called Wheel-A-Matics.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

callum12

thanks all,

just thinking about the pulleys and belt, I was thinking of putting a twist in the belt to change vert to horizontal. the only problem is that as it is now the belt runs down the middle of the chassis, if possible I would like to leave the clutch as is. this would mean doing the twist after the clutch assembly, from there I would need to direct the belt to the side for the input pulley on the uni-drive. any ideas how i could do this?? 
I did think of a sort of counter shaft, so there is a central horizontal pulley (shaft is horizontal) supported with some pillow block bearing with another pulley to the side for the input on the transaxle. 

thanks again

callum

stevasaurus

callum...what exactly are you trying to do???  Any of the Wheel Horse transmissions with the input shaft on the side of the trans...the input shaft has to turn in a counter clockwise rotation.  If you figure 8 a fan belt, the pulley would be going in a clockwise direction and you would have 3 speeds in reverse and one forward.

So what do you have and what are you trying to do...I think we could guess here, but I would rather you told us.  :)

bmsgaffer

Part of his idea is in another thread:

Put a unidrive (i am assuming 8 speed) on a vertical shaft tractor.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Brandon...I found the thread, here is the link...:)

stevasaurus

callum...I just read your other thread.  First, I think any thing is possible and I just want to throw some things at you to think about...maybe you have already thought about them.

1st...talked about figure 8ing the belt above

2nd..the fan belt to the input shaft pulley has a tension pulley...that is your clutch in a manual transmission.

3rd...you might have more success trying to use a hydro trany rather then a manual trans

4th...If you think the frame is like a "B" series...(I do not know)...changing out the engine to a horizontal shaft with the trans you are talking about just might be a heck of a lot easier.

5th...there are a bunch of guys on this site that can just about fabricate any thing...I would think what you want to do is possible.  Believe me, if you figure this out...you will save many vertical shaft horses that are endangered...parts just are not out there.  :)

• Like 1

callum12

thanks everyone, this is just what I want/need, people to raise question and issues on how this project might be possible. 

I was just about to ask what direction the input shaft needs to spin before my internet connection had a wobble!

another idea is to use a 90 degree drive box, this is an option. As is changing the engine for a horizontal setup.

and yes stevasaurus, the reason for this project is partly to save a vert tractor. It's happened so much in the past, the less desirable models (of anything, cars, bikes etc) simply being scrapped or broken up until they are extinct. 

thanks all,

callum

stevasaurus

Is your trans broke??  :)  It may be fixable or maybe replaceable.

callum12

not yet, but it is definitely on the way out. there is a lot of play in the input shaft and its not just the pulley. it is also difficult to get in gear, reverse is fine but 1 and 2 are almost impossible without rocking the tractor sometimes. As i plan to do some towing with my tractor this will no doubt become a problem. since it is on the way out I am taking the opportunity to upgrade and modify. 

I do know there is a peerless 820 transaxle, this is designed for heavy duty tractors and is even capable of ground engagement. I am also looking into those as they are top load so it will just be changing the mounting brackets.anyone got an opinion on these transaxles?

callum

stevasaurus

I think you have the Peerless 648 transmission in your horse.  I have not been into one of these...yet.  Here is a link to what it looks like inside.

If you have slop in the input shaft, it is probably a bad bearing.  The slop in the shaft would cause an alignment problem with the shifting of gears and make it so you would have to rock the horse.  It may not be to bad of a job to replace the bad bearing, seals and gaskets.  I don't know.  Peerless transmissions are good transmissions and Wheel Horse used them in a lot of their horses.  Replacing or fixing that trans is definitely an option to explore.

One thing to remember...the "A series horses are considered Lawn Tractors...not Lawn & Garden Tractors.  They were built as an alternative to the heavier horses and cost less to buy and to make.  Have you thought about buying a 2nd horse??  :)

stevasaurus

Check this out...section 3.1...this doesn't look any harder then tearing down a Wheel Horse transmission.  :bow-blue:   :)

callum12

haha "have I considered buying a second horse?" yes many a time! it's just a matter of space really, my workshop isn't that big nor is my garage.

i've been looking more into the peerless 820, it would be an almost straight swap, just the mounts which are simple angle iron. but I do still fancy the challenge of uni-driving my horse.

I don't know if you've seen my 'project agri-800' post in the customisations and modifications board? but this modification would be part of that. 

thanks,

callum

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Yes, I found and read that post yesterday...it is an interesting idea for sure.  I am trying to help this member with his trans problem.  He has a B-111 with a Foote transmission.  I was giving what you are trying to do some thought last year.  He is in Central Michigan...just too far for me to go there and see what's possible.  We did find a replacement trans for him, but it took a long time.  I will be keeping track of your progress...good luck.  :)

groundhog47

one thing though, it's not looking so good for my bank account! I reckon the tranny will fit and the project will go ahead. In fact it will fit so well i'm beginning to think the A-800 shares the same chassis as a the B-series, some of those have uni-drives and vert engines don't they??

thanks again,

Callum

thanks again,

Callum

Callum, I measure 9" from front of case to center line of axle "tube".

And in thinking of your idea: how about a pillow block bearing monnted/fastened to each (L&R) side of chassis, live axle through bearings with a pulley in middle to accommodate fig 8 twist and a pulley outboard on R side to belt drive tran pulley. Not knowing what kinda room under may be too low. Also you could do that and drive another horizontal set up higher off that set. As  to clutching. you might be able to make a swing run with flange moth blocks fastened to swing at top (?lateral stability?) which could work with rod from old clutch, but a tension idler would nave to be on tran belt to keep in check. I've toyed with the fig 8 idea for years on a go kart using vert engine; never got past drawing stage and was going to have output from fig 8 (horizontal run) drive a centrifugal clutch or torque converter (doubles as clutch)

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Gerry...I'd give you 5 likes if I could.  Outstanding.  :)

• Like 1

groundhog47

Gerry...I'd give you 5 likes if I could.  Outstanding.  :)

Ya know Steve, I learned to help from you and a bunch of other great guys on this forum. And I must give credit to Thumper also (In Bambie) ..."if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

• Like 1

callum12

gerry, that is amazing, I can't see why that idea won't work. I've got C-series wheels on the tractor so clearance won't be a problem:

11212231_1639378732962316_304412075_n_zp

with the pillow block bearing do you imagine i could make a sort of perch for them to sit on?if so maybe these could be better? 

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-06%20at%2020.49.

for the shaft i suppose a keyway with a pulley with a grub screw won't be strong enough? i would need a proper key and keyway affair. 

as for clutching your idea sound good, but I think with an extra pulley I should be able to leave the clutch as is. 

how much should I pay for a good uni-drive 8 speed? there is one on fleabay at the moment for $300 but as i am in the uk that would be $73 shipping! understandable though. is this a good price?

thank you very much all, mods might want to move this to modification board??

Callum

just to add I will take some pictures of the chassis tomorrow for you.

thanks again,

callum

groundhog47

Yeah think that flange type would work and may be able to find a heavy duty two holer. A full length keyed shaft would do unless you have means or someone to cut them where needed. Either a drop down plate (perch) to mount or through frame as needed to align with engine pulley plane. The extra pulley sounds kinda what I was thinkin too. 

On the tran if you can find a good roller for around $100 would give you a good tran maybe but then you'd have another one to fix up, Ha, ain't these things a joy. Also there are a lot of folks on forum that deal withtrans that may be close enough to go after. Fastenal ships stuff for a very reasonable price if you can find someone willing to take it to Fastenal and fill out paper work. Kelly, member on here has a heard his wittling down. Believe he is still selling parts, shoot him a PM, nere's his ad post him what you need. Prices run from $75 and up, brake "drum", input pulley, brake band, shift handles are other things may come with or without that are price drivers also. You could also place a "wanted" ad in classified and see what pops up. Tex still has a lot hidin out there, La is very sparse to zero, Mo is a "hot bed" , and Ok pops in quit often (all this mainly tractors, some rollers). I'll keep perusing/trollin and holler at ya if find any thing that might suit yer needs! :handgestures-thumbup:   

From for sale classified:

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1