horsejunkie77

314-H deck belt keeps jumping off

horsejunkie77

I've tensioned it up as much as I could and it would work for a pass or two and jump back off the pulley. I turned the knob in the front as hard as possible but it kept flopping around when I engaged the blades. It's a side discharge on a 48" deck. Not sure what to do with it.

daveoman1966

At this point, the belt is JUNK.  It will never come back to correct tracking...never.  You need a new TORO OEM belt # 102742 or 94-2501 (new #).  They are about $30 or less at dealers or for a few bux less on-line.  DO NOT BUY and aftermarket belt.  They are not precisely engineered to match the V shape of the pulleys resulting in a propensity of flopping back and forth in the V...soon progressing to roll-over.  Spend the few extra bux and get the OEM BELT.   

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

horsejunkie77

Thank you so much! Am I correct at the way I'm tensioning the belt with the knob in front? Obviously this is my first WH, so I'm learning as I go lol.

daveoman1966

Yes...that is the way to set belt tension, but if you make to TOO TIGHT, you will soon ruin the bearings in either the MULE DRIVE or the front center spindle of the deck....GUARANTEED.  Too much tension is also hard on the PTO internal bearing. 

The proper tension is....  pinch with two fingers about midway of the PTO clutch and the Mule drive.  This should deflect the belt about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.  The belt should not flop around when engaged so pull the tension tight enough to prevent that.  Don't make it tight as a guitar string.....

Edited by daveoman1966

horsejunkie77

Thanks again. It's much appreciated

horsejunkie77

Interesting side bar to this story. On the tractor it still shows a sticker where it was originally purchased. It's located about 20 miles from the house and they are still in business. I went in there today and got the belt I needed for $22. The cool part of this was when I walked in, it was like going back I time. The guy that owns it was working the counter and is probably in his late 70's,maybe 80. He was probably the one that sold the tractor originally. With the exception of the new zero turn Toro riders in the showroom, it was almost like it was back in the day. From the Tecumseh stools to the Dr Pepper/Be a Pepper thermostat on the wall...it was so cool. Brings back memories of my dad bringing me to the parts store. I was also informed that he has a lot of Wheel Horse parts in stock. Super excited!