Toasty

My first Horse - 68 Lawn Ranger

Toasty

I bought my first Wheel Horse.  After sanding on the hood lightly where there was a long sticker under it.  I was able to read "Lawn Ranger."  From everything I could find tells me it must be a 68 Lawn Ranger.  Someone has taken off the old engine, removed the choke, and throttle cables and put a different throttle cable on the side.  Removed the ignition switch and kill switch, hinged the hood/grill, cut up the hood to get the engine to fit and put a gas tank on it where it doesn't fit where the fill hole is.  I also believe I am missing parts to my mowing deck.  Also the belt guard is missing

My cousin is a fabricator and going to see if he can fix the hood for me.  I already got a hold of another member about picking up the correct motor/gas tank next week.  I start stripping the paint off this weekend.

Now if anyone believes this tractor to be a different model/year please let me know.  This is all based on a sticker I found under some spray paint.

post-15147-0-76362500-1430360162.jpg

post-15147-0-69068200-1430360166.jpg

• Like 3

mels

Welcome, Toasty.  Looks like a fun project you have there!

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Toasty

Thanks both of you.

I started to tear down the mowing deck today and I found the serial/model number of the deck. 5-3322.  From what I googled that does belong to a 1968 Lawn Ranger.

Toasty

Here is the picture of the mowing deck before I tore it apart and the dash that I need to get all the parts back for it.

post-15147-0-87601500-1430433007_thumb.j

post-15147-0-48923700-1430433012_thumb.j

RedRanger

You have the 1968 only 3 spoke steering wheel, so that is the first give a way.   :thumbs2:

All the other Lawn rangers had 2 spokes.  There should also be a metal id tag riveted on the steering wheel stand with the model number.

It may have come with an electric start or just recoil.  

I think I'd look for a different hood.  Scrap that one.

Was that on Craigs List?  I think I saw it there through my daily browsing.

Also-what size rear tires are on there?  

RedRanger

Check this out.

As for the id tag, 1-1631 was a recoil and 1-2631 was electric start.

Toasty

Thanks, I already downloaded and printed that pdf.  I just ran outside with my flashlight and there was no tag on the steering column.  It must have been on the original engine.  I am going to see what my cousin can do for the hood first.  He can do some amazing work on the cheap.  It was on craigslist.  The guy has had 79 tractors in his yard when I showed up.  I would say only 10 of them were not wheel horses.

For tires it has 18x8 50-8 rear, 10.5x4.50 - 4 front

RedRanger

Thanks, I already downloaded and printed that pdf.  I just ran outside with my flashlight and there was no tag on the steering column.  It must have been on the original engine.  I am going to see what my cousin can do for the hood first.  He can do some amazing work on the cheap.  It was on craigslist.  The guy has had 79 tractors in his yard when I showed up.  I would say only 10 of them were not wheel horses.

For tires it has 18x8 50-8 rear, 10.5x4.50 - 4 front

That's the original factory tire and size for these things, but I just put new 18x8.50 on mine and they look much more narrow.  Hoping they break down and widen out some. I've got a '66.

post-14487-0-38890700-1430576891_thumb.jpost-14487-0-76466500-1430577165_thumb.j

There is also a member here that makes replacement seat covers for these so you can save that seat pan.

Edited by RedRanger

Toasty

I will be replacing all the tires soon.  I just came back inside from tearing down the whole tractor and washing down the frame.  Going to take a wire wheel to it and get it painted today.

post-15147-0-74102600-1430579228_thumb.j

post-15147-0-61287500-1430579232_thumb.j

RedRanger

You don't waste any time!

Toasty

I want it ready for when I pick up the engine.  I have the frame, front axle, and transmission almost all done and ready to put back together by tomorrow.

post-15147-0-00742800-1430609175_thumb.j

• Like 1

Toasty

RedRanger: Who makes the sear covers on here? Also what size tires did you end up using on the front?

RedRanger

RedRanger: Who makes the sear covers on here? Also what size tires did you end up using on the front?

Original front tire size is no longer made and the 4.10 is too small.

I ended up going with a 11x4-4 on the front from Summit Racing.  They are Carlisle.

If you're replacing all 4, you might want to also consider tri ribs and lugs on the rear.

Lawn rangers look great that way too.

Are your rear tires dry-rotted?  If not, I'd keep them.  That pattern is no longer made either.

Edited by RedRanger

Toasty

All the tires are dry rotted really bad plus one of the rear tires has a slash in the tire about 6" long.  I think I would rather get the triple ridge.  Do you know a good place to order triple rip and lug tires?

Thanks

Edited by toasty

RedRanger

I haven't shopped them.  I'm sure others can give their input though.

Toasty

Well it is 10 am here and I already got the parts I painted bolted back together and first coat of paint on the next few pieces. 

Does any one know where I could get a pair of triple rib tires that fit my stock 4" rims?

post-15147-0-37865700-1430662081_thumb.j

post-15147-0-20349100-1430662090_thumb.j

Jake Kuhn

Looks like you are making some very quick progress. You can get the 3 ribs from miller tire, I believe they are 3.00-4's. about 80 bucks for a pair by the time you buy tubes and shipping, but they look very nice. Here they are on my ranger...

post-4240-0-66320600-1430678843_thumb.jp

Toasty

Those look really nice on there.  I am excited to see this pony all freshly painted and some new shoes.

Toasty

My father gave me a spare set of rims that are 5 bolt.  I have seen online 5 bolt hubs with a 1" shaft.  Will those hubs work on my horse?

Toasty

I know it has been almost 4 years since I have posted about my Lawn Ranger but I finally got my hood back and a few other parts from my cousin who had them for about 3 years.  I have gotten a few thing done since that time including a Honda Clone engine installed and partially have the tractor reassembled.  Last night I started to sand down the many layers of paint off the hood so I could do rest of the body work that is needed.  Here is a picture of the hood as of this morning.  If you look at the first few pictures you will see the the previous owner has cut the hood in half right before the hood reaches the center console and they added latches and a hing on the hood.  They also cut the sides of the hood and folded them back.  My cousin got it all welded back in place and even filled in the original gas filler hole how my new engine can not use that hole.

Next few days I am hopping to get the rest of the hood cleaned up and start doing the body work.  I am waiting to hear back about a quote from the company my father works at that does powder coating.  Most likely going to have them powder coat the 4 rims on this tractor and the 2 rims off of the 7-2211 dump trailer that I recently acquired.

Image-32.png

• Like 4

Toasty

Well, over the weekend I did my least favorite thing in the world and did not hate it for once!  I Finished sanding all the layers of paint off and then sprayed the whole thing with Rust Reformer. After that I ended up bondo and sanded 4 times before I was happy with how the hood came out.  After got another layer of Rust Reformer over the whole thing.  Next weekend I will be spraying filler primer on it and back to sanding.  I also spent some time outside and finished bolting everything I could back together on the tractor.  Still waiting on the quote to get the rims powder coated white.

List of what I still need to get done.

1. Hood primed/painted
  2. Seat pan sanded/primed/painted
  3. New cushion made.
  4. Order shaft sleeve to go on the engine/pulley
  5. Get/make belt cover for drive belt.
  6. Rims powder coated
  7. Decals ordered/installed

IMG_2039.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Toasty

Well I finally got a few more things done on the Lawn Ranger.  Installed the engine shaft sleeve to accept the original Wheel Horse pulley.  Hood and seat pan are prepped and ready for paint.  Installed a new drive belt.  Rims got all powder coated and tires installed.  The two days ago I was able to run the Lawn Ranger on its own power most likely for the first time in over 10 years.  Well Every time I put it in 3rd gear the tractor wants to go vertical on me.  Went into the house with a big smirk on my face and my ask what happen, and told her I need to install Wheelie Bars to the back of the tractor.  Last night I hooked up my sons wagon to the back and took him and his friend for a ride around the yard.  Excited to finally see this running and allowing my son to enjoy it also.

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart

Those newer engines aren’t quite as heavy as the old cast iron mills. It might be a good idea to fashion a hanging weight up front, even for the kid’s safety sake.  It looks good Toasty, will the reworked hood clear that air cleaner and exhaust?

• Like 2

Toasty
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

Those newer engines aren’t quite as heavy as the old cast iron mills. It might be a good idea to fashion a hanging weight up front, even for the kid’s safety sake.  It looks good Toasty, will the reworked hood clear that air cleaner and exhaust?

I agree on the weight and already working on it. For the exhaust I flipped it 180 degrees and it just barely misses the hood.  The air filter I’ll need to modify something else for it.