tommyg

60" deck drive belt size

tommyg

I recently adapted a 60" deck from a 520H to fit my D180. I'll post pics in another thread, but the question I have is... The original belt from my 48" deck is 1/2 inch. The belt that drove the spindles was also 1/2". On this 60" deck, the belt that drives the spindles is wider (maybe 5/8"). So I made the assumption that the drive belt ought to also be this size. My Toro dealer says this is not the case. The drive belt for the 520H and 60" deck is only 1/2". It works and all, but I was just wondering what anyone else has under their 520 to drive their 60" deck. I don't understand why they'd put a wider belt to drive the spindles and a narrower one from the PTO.

daveoman1966

Inasmuch as I just now realized you are working with a D serier tractor, I withdraw all my comments.  I was STUCK on 'C' series tractors and apologize for having mislead you (or anyone else).   

Edited by daveoman1966

tommyg

Understandably so. So why does my snowblower use a 5/8" drive belt? The 60" deck has two stacked pulleys of the same size. The upper belt/pulley drives the spindles. It's 5/8". The lower is the same size and my 1/2" belt sinks much lower into the pulley. Another problem I'm experiencing is that the belt is twisting and running on the flat side of the belt. That can't be good and it's certainly not efficient. Undoubtedly, the belt will slip when it's under any kind of load. 

daveoman1966

comments removed   

Edited by daveoman1966

tommyg

It's an OEM belt. Didnt have this problem with my 48. The blower uses the wider belt and the inner pulley. The deck has always used the outer pulley.

daveoman1966

Inasmuch as I just now realized you are working with a D serier tractor, I withdraw all my comments.  I was STUCK on 'C' series tractors and apologize for having mislead you (or anyone else).   

tommyg

No worries. Anyone else out there to chime in? I measured the existing belt at 105" and ordered an aftermarket 5/8". I figured the $15 was worth a shot.