harrythecat1823

carb problem on kohler 17hp

harrythecat1823

i have a 1980 c-175 17hp kohler. all of a sudden it's starts to sputter and wants to shut off when in operation. if i close the choke almost all the way, it runs good. not sure if i'm getting all the power it has, but it runs and cuts well.

any ideas?

Edited by harrythecat1823

wallfish

:WRS:

Dirty carb

By closing the choke you are restricting the amount of air intake to the engine. It runs better because you are matching the amount of air to the amount of fuel. Less fuel is usually caused by a dirty carb and a GOOD cleaning should solve your problem. At least that's where I would start.

Water in the fuel system or a clogged gas cap vent could also be an issue. Restricted fuel flow from clogged screen in the tank or collapsing fuel line, Float level setting or Fuel pump not pumping enough fuel.

Does it run good for a while and then it sputters or does it happen right away?

• Like 2

boovuc

I think you meant a 1980 C-175 but none-the-less, clean the carb and in particular, remove the needle valves and blow carb cleaner directly through the orifice. All of them. Make sure your fuel lines are good, that your fuel filter isn't clogged, that the screen in the fuel tank at the shut off valve isn't plugged. Make sure you have a good pulse of gasoline at the outet of your fuel pump. 

A plugged up carb will cause your issues but there are a few more as I mentioned that also will contribute to a dirty carburetor. Work from the fuel tank forward AFTER you clean up the carb.