Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Will it stop it

BairleaFarm

Will a b100 with hydro have enough stopping power to stop 3 more wheel horses, a 16 foot trailer, 6 square bales, and 5 kids? Level ground im not worried about but there is one step hill that has me concerned. Its for a parade and all the other tractor will not be running.

JimD

boy i don't know david, it might be asking a lot of her. i'm not familiar with the hydro's but with the unidrive you could shut it off in gear if necessary.

CasualObserver

I'm guessing a trial run is the only way you'll answer that question. It's all going to depend on the driver, traction and most importantly... inertia. You may need to figure out a way to incorporate a hand brake on the trailer that you could control from the tractor. Sounds like a lot of weight to be pushing against a tractor headed downhill.

nylyon

The B100 may not have a brake, actually it probably doesn't. I wouldn't put 5 kids on a wagon without real brakes. Just my 2 cents.

BairleaFarm

You may need to figure out a way to incorporate a hand brake on the trailer that you could control from the tractor.

I bet that trailer has electric brake. That would be easy enough

linen beige

I wouldn't put 5 kids on a wagon without real brakes.

So Karl, Just how many would you risk before you thought it excessive? :banghead:

David, That B doesn't have nearly enough weight on it's end to hold back the weight that would be pushing it. If you have electric brakes on the trailer you should be set though. Your B should pull it fine.

BairleaFarm

I also thought about running it with the wheel weights and the front blade. Drop the blade is something happened.

mcwh1950

david -- is it going to have enough power to pull all of the thing that you what it to pull.

what are you using between every thing to tow then. also what is the electric brake going to be hood to. 5 little one are precious.

BairleaFarm

Its for a a christmas parade. The wheel horse "reindeer" and the trailer "sleigh" Im sure it will pull it and im fairly sure it will stop it. We will be going at a very slow rate of speed so im not to concerned. I was curios before i built the rig to hook everything together. I may put one person on every tractor and a back up stoping thingy.

KyBlue

This a local deal David??

BairleaFarm

yeah. Making a left from main onto Broadway going away from my house is the hill im worried about.

HorseFixer

I would definatley put the trailer last and run good wire to them brakes! :banghead:

I think that will keep everything stright and from getting squirly maybe even put chains on yer pull tractor and chains on the trailer with the electric brakes. That is if its not on dry pavement! :USA:

Duke

KyBlue

when is It DD ?? Ill grab the camera and get some video for the other WH nuts here on RS..

Sparky

when is It DD ?? Ill grab the camera and get some video for the other WH nuts here on RS..

Who you callin a WH nut?? :banghead:

Mike.........

KyBlue

Eh - well all of us actually ... Ill be first in line! haha

BairleaFarm

I dont know what it is? I am thinking about making a few harnesses that bolt through the spindles - go around the tire and connect back together. That was all the front wheels turn as they should.

Raider12

Just thinking? :banghead: If this trailer, and it's contents with LIVE kids and anything else you have in the parage out weight your tactor with you on it, sounds like trouble to me!

BairleaFarm

its for my childs daycare. I might mention moms 4x8 trailer. It would sit better with me and be more cozy for the children.

HorseFixer

I don't know what it is? I am thinking about making a few harnesses that bolt through the spindles - go around the tire and connect back together. That was all the front wheels turn as they should.

:omg: Oh I thought you were gonna like hard link them together :hide: I didn't know you were gonna drive them like a MULE TRAIN! :hide: Yikes I don't like the sound of all of this now :D I dunnoooooooooo hmmmm Hope you have good liability ins, I'm not trying to be cynical here just hate to see sumpin happen and you end up loosing yer bacon on a hay ride! :omg: People can get sue happy and just dont wanna se a pal get jammed up! :D

Duke

wh500special

When I first saw your posting I typed a reply that I ended up deleting since it sounded a little too inflamatory...but the general implication I was making was:

Don't do it.

Even when the brakes on these tractors were functioning perfectly these 600 pound machines really can't hold much back. Dropping a blade on pavement isn't going to be very useful either.

If you were merely hauling 2500 pounds on a trailer behind you with no one else around and you had an accident it would be no big deal. But if you put 5 kids on this thing and end up careening into a bunch of bystanders you're going to have real problems and a lot of people saying "what was he thinking". best case scenario is that you get sued at lose everything you've worked hard to accumulate for your family, worst case is that you injure pr kill someone.

I don't think it is unreasonable to tow a small trailer in a parade with one of these WH tractors, but your mention of the hill really cements my opinion that you would be looking for trouble.

If the trailer has brakes, you might be able to make a run at it but you would need to devise a 100% foolproof means of applying the brakes in a controllable fashion. Simple ON/OFF brake control via a switch would probably cause you too much jerking and heaving to have human cargo on that trailer on the hill and might buck the tractor and make controlling it a little hairy until things settle back down.

What you should infer from this is that I think you are venturing into a potentially unsafe condition with a setup of a ton or more weight behind your little tractor. The fact that you decided to ask the question about whether or not the tractor could controllably stop this rolling mass suggests to me that you are clearly apprehensive enough to realize that this could be a challenging or dangerous exercise.

A few years ago just south of St. Louis a half dozen people were killed on a hayride when the utility tractor that was drawing the wagon down the hill slipped out of gear. of course the only brakes on the tractor were on the back wheels and they were apparently useless against the weight and momentum of the wagon. And, as I recall, it wasn't really that big of a load and the tractor was substantially larger than the average GT. Freak accident, but anything can happen.

The closest thing to a disaster I ever personally saw on a garden tractor was at my uncle's house with his big, old Sears garden tractor (the cast iron ones from the 70's). We were clearing brush and schlepping junk back and forth and we hooked up his 14' Aluminum jonboat to the big Sears. We had moved it - and launched it in the lake even - dozens of times without problems. For whatever reason as he was inching down the hill the tractor lost traction and he was never able to get it back.

That boat/trailer combo weighed maybe 800 pounds TOTAL and my uncle was - at the time - a big guy who put plenty of weight on the rear tires. As he neared the lake at the bottom of the hill at what looked like 50 mph (probably 10) he was able to steer the tractor gradually away from the bank and ended up stopping in a large bush. It was quite exciting and it happened so fast it was over before the rest of us realized it was unintentional.

That was the last time the Sears ever moved that boat on the hill.

These things will pull a great deal of weight, but they just don't have the ability to stop things on a hill.

Use your best judgement, but I encourage you to either find a lighter load or a more capable tow vehicle.

Best of luck,

Steve

BairleaFarm

I dont think ill do it with the kids. I always think positive and im sure i could do it but its not worth the risk. I will cancel daycare float arrangements tomorrow. I may do something with 3 or 4 of the tractors together and haul a small empty sleigh with a stuffed santa.

linen beige

Many of you I'm sure remember my post about why my dad bought his '60 400 suburban. He watched one pull a semi and flat bed trailer loaded with another Wheel Horse and all 22 attachments in a Lexington, Ky. parade. But the semi was running so that IT had air brakes that could stop the load!

bambooheels

DAVID

i dont know you from Eve, but we have had our differnces on here before, but now you are making me worried, why in the worls would you risk such a thing? is your brain ok? these are children, and just riding a tractor solo is at times hazardous. what the heck!!! kids dude, get a grip. your kids, other peoples kids it dont matter, you are ignoring there safety, regardless if the tractor could do it or not, YOU ARE RISKING OTHERS for your own personal glory or feat or to impress people with what your WH can or cannot do! wish i was there, i would show you a good old country azz wooping if my kid or kids were anywhere near this ride... i hope i am not alone with my feelings, as a father i cannot imagine!!! :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid:

BairleaFarm

but we have had our differnces on here before,

I dont recall ever having an issue with you

why in the worls would you risk such a thing

Notice 2 posts ago I said I wasnt doing it.

get a grip
Ive got one thats why I ask

If the previous responders had said sure no problem what so ever I would have gone ahead with it. With all the iffys it isnt worth the risk