Bilbo

Wheelehourse 520H - Best way to fix oil leak at drain

Bilbo

Hello all!

I have a 1996 Wheelhorse 520H which has developed a oil leak where the oil drain exits the engine. I can tighten it, but then the drain elbow at the other end points straight up. I would like something like teflon pipe tape that would withstand the heat of the engine, but I have been unable to find it. Does anyone know where to find it, orIf anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

p.s. It is an Onan 20HP engine

Edited by Bilbo

rmaynard

Hello and :WRS:  The best way that I found to tighten the drain pipe is to remove the engine mounting bolts and raise the engine enough to be able to remove the pipe and elbow. Remove the elbow. Then, if the threads inside the pan are not stripped, wrap yellow Teflon tape around the threads of the first pipe and tighten into the pan. Then install the elbow the same way using yellow Teflon tape. Then install the extension pipe and cap.

If the threads are stripped in the pan, you are better off finding another usable pan.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

Bilbo

Hello and :WRS:  The best way that I found to tighten the drain pipe is to remove the engine mounting bolts and raise the engine enough to be able to remove the pipe and elbow. Remove the elbow. Then, if the threads inside the pan are not stripped, wrap yellow Teflon tape around the threads of the first pipe and tighten into the pan. Then install the elbow the same way using yellow Teflon tape. Then install the expension pipe and cap.

THANK YOU for the quick reply! By yellow tape are you reffering to gas pipe teflon tape? This tape can withstand the heat?

rmaynard

Yes, the yellow tape for gas is what I am referring to. I have used it on several of my Kohlers and most recently my P-216. 

Bilbo

Thank you again!

ericj

i was always told not to use teflon tape on or around oil because the oil eats the teflon tape. i used the yellow soft set pipe dope at work and on my horses just my :twocents-02cents: 

eric j 

KC9KAS

Bilbo, :WRS:

JackC

This is available at most auto parts stores and can be used even if you do not fly your tractor:

Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3 Sealant is a slow-drying, non-hardening brush-applied liquid gasket/dressing/coating. Aviation Form A Gasket is a thin, brush-able dressing or sealer suitable for -65 to 400 F temperatures. Resists antifreeze, gasoline, oils, and lubricants. 4 oz. bottle. Also great for sealing tapered and straight threads on fuel fittings that require gasoline resistance.

rmaynard

i was always told not to use teflon tape on or around oil because the oil eats the teflon tape. i used the yellow soft set pipe dope at work and on my horses just my :twocents-02cents:

eric j 

There are several types of thread sealing tape with PTFE (Teflon).

Quoting from the Oatey website, one of the manufacturers of the yellow tape:

"Yellow Gas Line Thread Seal Tape With PTFE, is manufactured especially for natural gas, propane, butane, water, oil and chemical lines."

I don't use the white tape as it is for water only.

Racinbob

I've had excellent results with Loctite 592 thread sealant. It takes the heat well.

Yet again, I've learned something new on this forum. I did know that white teflon tape doesn't work well in this type of application but I had never heard of the yellow variety. That's good to know.

Bilbo

Thank you all for your suggestions! The reason I wanted to go the tape route is because I can't tighten the thread without the drain pointing up. With tape, you can adjust that by using a thicher amount of tape. Again, thanks.

Edited by Bilbo

lynnmor

Thank you all for your suggestions! The reason I wanted to go the tape route is because I can't tighten the thread without the drain pointing up. With tape, you can adjust that by using a thicher amount of tape. Again, thanks.

Just replace the pipe nipple or swap it end for end, whatever it takes to get it to point in the right direction.  I use red thread locker, teflon makes the joint too easy to move.