Crabtreeb

Repower

Crabtreeb

I have a B80 the piston rod has broken. I was looking for a new motor but my kohler has a clockwise rotation at the shaft end can any one recommend a replacement I have searched all over the web with no luck. The engine that is in her now is a k181 I think.

Racinbob

Clockwise looking at the shaft end? I don't think that's gonna happen. Please take another look at it. :)

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

First off, I dont think your kohler has clockwise rotation at the crank. :scratchead: I am 99.9% sure all the engines spin the same way (Counter clockwise from the pto side) And anyway, if it did spin clockwise your unidrive transmission would have one forward speed and three reverse! :handgestures-thumbupright:

As for a replacement:

What year is it? Some B80's have a "mid" frame (shorter than full size) and your best, and easiest, bet is to rebuild your K181 or find a rebuildable one.

If you have the long frame, any K series will pretty much bolt right up (however you will have to get a different drive pulley and PTO sleeve as the crank shaft is larger on the others)

A newer magnum will bolt right in but will need wiring changed

With a little fab work a harbor freight predator (or other model) can fit.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Brandon and Bob...absolutely correct.  I think I saw in one of these threads about this that the rotation is from the fly wheel side (or the fan side)...in that case it is a clockwise rotation...but the PTO side of the engine would be counter-clock wise.  And that goes for ALL of the single piston, horizontal shaft Kohlers  (K series).  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'm sure that's what Crabtreeb was looking at. When you get right down to it the shaft is on that side as well. I've always assumed that the industry standard for rotation is looking at the business end of the motor or whatever it's powering. In the case of our tractors, the PTO end.

pacer

Just for a side note here on the rotations of engines -- when I was a kid ( a LONG time ago!!) I loved the Cushman scooters and they ran clockwise because of the direct drive to the rear wheel. So when I got my first Horse a few years ago I went immediately into a major rebuild and was proceeding merrily along assuming the engine ran like a Cushman! Needless to say I figured out pretty quickly on putting it back together that wasnt gonna work too well running "backwards" :eek:

sorekiwi

As for a replacement:

What year is it? Some B80's have a "mid" frame (shorter than full size) and your best, and easiest, bet is to rebuild your K181 or find a rebuildable one.

If you have the long frame, any K series will pretty much bolt right up (however you will have to get a different drive pulley and PTO sleeve as the crank shaft is larger on the others)

A big block Kohler will bolt straight on to a mid frame B80 as well.  I've had 8, 10, 12 and 16 hp Kohlers on mine over the years!

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Just rebuild yours.  It will cost less and be more reliable.  Make sure to take camshaft out and inspect for cracks.  The rod usually hits it, and creates a fracture.  Other than that expect to find a chuck of lower cylinder missing.  You will have to grind the sharp corners off but the block can still be used.  If rod blew, crank will need to be turned or a nice used one obtained.