JeffreyLKY

Help with model ID please?

JeffreyLKY

Would anyone be able to help me identify a recently purchased RJ or Suburban tractor?  The only identifier I can find is near the shifter, and that says J11-1.  The original motor was apparently removed some 15-20 years ago, and there seems to be no frame label or ID on the tractor.  This model does have the seat with storage underneath, the small rear fenders, and no louvers in the hood.  Perhaps a Suburban?  Thanks for any information...can't seem to locate in manuals and so forth with my limited knowledge and information on the older units.  Thanks!!

Lane Ranger

If the J-11-1 is on the top of the transmission that would be a code for the year it was made.   October-11- 1961 Post a photo 0f your tractor and you will get plenty of information !

Sparky

Maybe a 701? Was the motor under the hood or between your legs? I believe the last year of the solid grill without slots was 1961.

Mike........

Jake Kuhn

Sounds like a 61 model so a suburban or 701 as others have mentioned. Post some pictures and we can let you know for sure.

JeffreyLKY

First of all, thank you all for the quick responses to my question...this poor thing is a basket case for sure.  It is missing some pieces, has some dings and dents, but I absolutely love these older tractors, and have never owned one.  It does have brand new Carlisle tires all around, and I can start looking into proper restoration items and materials if I can confirm what it is I'm looking for ;)  Thanks again!

I apologize, but I can't seem to figure out how to load images.  heems like there should be a way to insert, but can't get it to happen.  I Have plenty of the tractor, but I am driving 12 hours today for an event in South Carolina.  I'll follow up and see if I can figure it out.  Sorry guys, and thanks a lot for the interest in helping out.

Racinbob

Jeff, when you go to the reply box simply click on the 'more reply options' button on the bottom right. You'll see the 'attach files' button on the bottom left. You'll be limited on the file size unless you become a supporter (hint, hint). :WRS:

JeffreyLKY

You know...I could have sworn I tried this just a short while ago Racinbob...again, thank you and I assure you...I will definitely head over to the become a supporter option once I get settled from this trip I making.  I greatly appreciate everyone here.  Thank you!

post-14890-0-28104000-1428854833_thumb.j

• Like 3

JeffreyLKY

Oh and by the way, the fuel line wasn't in the muffler when I got it :roll:     I was getting ready to pressure wash and took the fuel line off just to start this old motor off a primer

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Oh and by the way, the fuel line wasn't in the muffler when I got it :roll:     I was getting ready to pressure wash and took the fuel line off just to start this old motor off a primer

I was wondering how that worked.  :scratchead:

Thought maybe you figured out the perpetual motion engine!  :techie-eureka:

Racinbob

You have a 1960 Suburban Jeff. That's what I'm in the process of restoring right now. My date code on the transmission is C1-0

Edited by Racinbob

Racinbob

It's a very nice example but some odd things have been done. Of course the engine is wrong but at least the hood wasn't cut up like so many are with an engine swap.The idler should lift up on the belt and not push down, The clutch spring is hooked up wrong. It should pull forward on the cross shaft lever that the end of the clutch rod is connected to. A few other odds and ends. All in all it's a great one to restore or fix up mechanically and have fun with. With the transmission code it may have been put together with 60 ans 61 parts. No harm done there.

Edited by Racinbob

953 nut

:WRS:   At some point the hood or the transmission may have been changed out, it is a 1960 hood and a 1961 transmission. That being said, you have a fine looking Suburban and any of us would be proud to have it in our herd. Lots of us have minor mismatched parts on our  :wh:  and that is fine, we are here for the mutual enjoyment of our hobby.

Enjoy the ride and keep us posted as you go.                                                                                                                                                                                :text-welcomeconfetti:

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a pretty nice little tractor, however the trans has a few odd things about it. First off, the brake band mount is the setup for the rj, and also uses the rj style pedal, this would of been  used on 58 and 59 models, and the casting date is 61, I would guess that probably someone had the trans apart at some point, or maybe took 2 tractors and built them into 1? This doesn't harm anything, just kind of a interesting modification.

AMC RULES

Nice :wh: score...     :handgestures-thumbsup: 

hard to find one that hasn't been messed with at some point. 

Racinbob

Good eye Jake! I didn't catch that. So you're thinking sides from a 5003 on a 5010 case? I don't see why that wouldn't work but I'm no guru here. :)

JeffreyLKY

Hey guys...made it to my venue for the next seven days.  Wow, sounds like I have quite a mixed bag of parts on this old gal.  I really didn't buy it to make a show piece, so as long as I can get it back to operational, I should be happy for now.  I've always had a Wheel Horse around, but typically the newer 300 series and so forth.  I've added a few to my collection, and wanted a round hood or five to round things out.  I will look into the manuals section so I can polish up on some of the variations that each of you spoke of...perhaps I can figure out how to take care of the clutch spring and the other small things before we take it down for blasting and so forth.  I have pressure washed the tractor since the photos were taken, but the grease on the frame and wheels is stuck on there pretty good.  I used an industrial degreaser, but had no luck.  I really appreciate the follow up once again.  Look forward to becoming a more active user of the forum, and hope to make an event or two from time to time.  I work in network television, so weekends are pretty much spoken for year round.  Thanks guys!

Jeff

post-14890-0-91470900-1428895905_thumb.j

Edited by JeffreyLKY