rmaynard

Another Neglected 416 Horse Is Headed My Way

rmaynard

I notice any horse left inside also turns into a rodent condo... :sad: (At least in my shed) 

When I built my shed, I made it rodent-proof and I have never had any problems.

Sparky

When I built my shed, I made it rodent-proof and I have never had any problems.

Care to share what makes it rodent proof?

Mike......

chazm

Nice find Bob ... :handgestures-thumbupright:   Just do all us a favor & try not to do back flips off the trailer with this one .... :teasing-poke:

chex313

Mike......

He's just busting a new guy...If a human fits through the door, a mouse can....(Unless its a very very very small door.) :)  :) When you are as busy as Mr.Maynard seems to be in his shed, I'll bet the mice have no time to sleep, so they move up to PA. and find haven in my abode.

Where I give the mice month's of quiet time... :)

I can't even keep out Flying Squirrels... 

post-14901-0-52519300-1428855223.jpg

Edited by chex313
  • Like 1

rmaynard

Mike......

Concrete floor, pressure-treated sole plate with sealant between it and the concrete. Sheathed with 1/2" plywood. All joints caulked. Finished with vinyl siding. The openings at the top and bottom of the vinyl corners are sealed with copper wool. There is no place where any rodent can get in. The door is a standard 8 x 7 steel garage door with a heavy-duty rubber seal on the bottom that extends 3" beyond the width of the door on both sides. When the door is closed, it is sealed at the top and both sides with tight fitting vinyl seals. When I was building it, I waited until dark of night and had my son outside with a 1,000,000 candlepower spot light, and me on the inside looking for any light leakage as he went around the door and perimeter of the building.

The shed was built in 2006 and so far there has never been any evidence of anything that took up residence inside the shed. I did leave the door open all day back in 2008 and when I closed it at night, I trapped a chipmunk inside. He gnawed at the rubber door bottom seal, but never got out. So if a determined rodent can't get out, a less determined one can't get in.

Another thing that I do when I close it up for the winter is to start my push mower and let it run with the door closed until it runs out of gas. All that carbon monoxide kills any stragglers that may have thought they had found a nice home for the winter.

Therefore, rodent-proof.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 5

bmsgaffer

I like the sound of that shed Bob! I've been considering getting a bigger one, but since it sits hanging over a steep slope, concrete would be prohibitively expensive.

One shed-maker I looked at uses tongue and groove treated 2x8's for flooring. That seems similarly rodent proof assuming I take care of all the other joints.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Well, we got off on a shed/rodent tangent there, so now it is back to the 416-H.

Just came home with it.

post-2221-0-95864600-1428939141_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-66654400-1428939427_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-34436200-1428939428_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-81124500-1428939428_thumb.jp

Here's the verdict. It's a 1997, 73423 7900503

post-2221-0-38998700-1428938972_thumb.jp

Engine runs and I didn't see any smoke.

The wiring has been butchered.

post-2221-0-60940900-1428939097_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-15860500-1428939098_thumb.jp

Obviously needs a seat.

post-2221-0-45349200-1428939547.jpg

Paint is bad.

Hood is starting to rust.

post-2221-0-85871300-1428939176_thumb.jppost-2221-0-28478100-1428939177_thumb.jp

All the metal is straight.

Belt guard is missing.

Tunnel cover is missing.

post-2221-0-41076700-1428939295.jpg

So I don't know what I am going to do. My heart says restore it, but my head says save the engine and part out the rest.

:confusion-confused:

• Like 1

Martin

Go with your heart Bob! Let's keep the good ones together! If we were closer I would seriously think about taking it off your hands.

What a minute, I must be nuts..... Need to downsize not add more....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racinbob

I've got to say heart as well Bob. That doesn't need to many parts to make it complete and with your handiwork it could look like new again. :)

rmaynard

My biggest problem is that I am not equipped with the kind of shop that is required to do what I want to do. I use about 1/3 of one side of a 24 x 24 garage. In the winter, that is all the space I have. In spring, summer and fall, I have the great outdoors, but then everything has to go back in at night. My wife, and rightly so, does not allow me to leave "junk" (her words, not mine) visible in the driveway.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I know what you mean with the space. Based on what you've said my vote is part out and keep some important spares for your other one :dunno:  :hide: .
But that's because I am similarly ill-equipped. I have half of a two car garage and not enough time.

For my 854 I have a spare engine, starter/generator, transmission, and frame that I am going to take my time and rebuild and make them awesome and then if something breaks I will be ready. I would do the same with an Onan if I had a spare. I also have a spare Eaton from a C-165 for when I get the need for speed (2mph faster than the 520).

Are those 23x12-12's out back? They look wider than a 520 tire, but that could just be me. I like 'em.

rmaynard

I looked at the tires from behind and thought the same thing, but believe it or not, they are just 9.50's.

I started her up again and it really needs a muffler. But for the price of a new one, I could have bought two 416's. The engine runs strong with no oil smoke. Carburetor needs a little tweeking. The Eaton is strong, and the hydro lift works fine. The tires are in good shape. I just wish I had a good place to store it and work on it.

Edited by rmaynard