shallowwatersailor

Eye Protection with a Wire Wheel

shallowwatersailor

Nothing got in my eyes but I had the strangest situation with a wire wheel strand.

I was cleaning some screw threads using a wire wheel in my drill press. Didn't think anything of it. When I was finished working on the project, I went to take a shower and all of a sudden there is something that I can't see sticking in the top of my left shoulder. It actually was facing towards the outside.

I got my wife to look and she took a 3/4" piece of wire from the wire wheel out of my shoulder. I can not figure out how it got there as I was wearing a jacket, flannel shirt, and T-shirt while cleaning the screws.

I just can't stress enough to wear goggles or wrap-around safety glasses while using anything that rotates.

• Like 8

Ed Kennell

Velocity +angle of impact = penetration.   Remember that 2X4 that penetrated a concrete wall during a tornado ? 

I had a similar experience,  but it was a young female barber that nearly freaked out when she found a piece of wire stuck thru my ear.

Glad it missed your eyes John.

shallowwatersailor

What I can't figure out is how it struck me from the opposite side - and direction from how I was using it? Do I have a magnetic left shoulder? :) 

I have to admit at times I am lax with safety goggles as i wear glasses. Not anymore.

Ed Kennell

Look for an entrance wound. Maybe you found the exiting wire.  :scared-eek:

squonk

Make sure you only buy good quality wire wheels. No Harbor Freight stuff. Oh and get one of these too!  :)

post-2380-0-18096600-1428695785.jpg

Edited by squonk

shallowwatersailor

I think that I will switch to the fiber ones.

stevasaurus

Maybe that wire has been there a while John...when was the last time you took a shower?  :ychain: 

Glad you are OK Mate.  :)

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Maybe that wire has been there a while John...when was the last time you took a shower?  :ychain:

Every "second" Tuesday of the week.  :laughing-rofl:

I thought the smell was Ed's manure spreader!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

C'mon John, don't blame your foul sense,cents,scents, or BO on me.  :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

What I can't figure out is how it struck me from the opposite side - and direction from how I was using it? Do I have a magnetic left shoulder? :)

I have to admit at times I am lax with safety goggles as i wear glasses. Not anymore.

The magic wire!

https://youtu.be/tBz3PqA2Fmc?t=1m23s

(sorry, the Seinfeld clip is not embedding because i set a start time on it) :hide:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Crackin' me up.  I was thinking more along the lines of "Spring Cleaning".  Don't know if you know this...but the reason that May & June are the months that have the most marriages are...that is when the water thawed enough to take a shower and the brides...well...smelled their best...obviously talking about Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan...maybe the Dakotas...Maine for sure.  :ychain:   Anyways...always a good idea to use the appropriate safety gear no mater what state you are from.    :bow-blue:  :)

• Like 2

squonk

What about the State of Confusion?  :confusion-confused:

It's bad luck to shower any week that has Friday in it!   :banana-linedance:

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Borrowing from Uncle Walter: "And that's the way it is, Friday, April 10, 2015."

doc724

Even the good quality wire wheels will shed.  I have now adopted using a full face shield.  More protection and if you are wearing a dust mask too, there is no fogging up like you have with only safety goggles.  For about $12  at home depot, a full face shield is well worth it.  Plus if you are weed whacking and you have a pet, you are fully protected from the inevitable flying poop!

• Like 5

specialwheelhorse

Yep picked them little suckers out of tee-shirts

and everything else including my belly,

but that's really hard to miss !!!

HorseHead1089

Look for an entrance wound. Maybe you found the exiting wire.  :scared-eek:

Plot Twist

sorekiwi

I had to remove a wire strand from my cheek, an inch below my eye a few years ago.  It was a wake up call.  

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

John, I had that happen before, a few times, like pygmies shooting little darts in me. I ALLWAYS wear a full face shield over my glasses.

glad your ok, lesson learned.

Glenn