mikeeyre74

Throttle slowly backing down by itself?

mikeeyre74

I've got a '77 B-80 with the K181 motor. I just got the parts I was waiting for to install the throttle cable so can use the thing, but once I got them installed and got the governor set up per the book, it seemed to be ok.. except for two things. One, the throttle on the dash only travels from the bottom of the slot on the dash to about halfway up where it maxes out on the carburetor.. it doesn't travel the whole length of the slot, which makes me think I've got something hooked up wrong somewhere?  And the other issues is that the throttle slowly backs itself down from high speed, down to an idle, all by itself.. like the carb/governor is slowly backing it down somehow, and I can't figure out what's causing this. Any thoughts?

PaulC

I would guess something is setup wrong with your linkage for the arm movement and as far as it backing down by itself its most likely the rivet that "squeezes" the throttle arm. over time they don't squeeze as much as they used to and the tractor vibrations make it back off, really annoying isn't it? I had one doing that until I fixed it by drilling out the rivet and replacing with a 1/4-20 bolt, bronze washers, and nylock nuts. this method is easy to fix and then has the ability to be adjusted or retightened if needed.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I was messing around with my 702 last year with like symptoms.  I think you have more then one thing going on.  Concerning your throttle only moving 1/2 way up to max out the carb...this has to do with the place that clamps the throttle cable just before it hits the carb.  The clip holding the housing...you can move the housing toward or away from the carb and re-clamp it...this will change the amount your throttle lever can move.  You may also have to take off a little more housing at that end to give yourself more lever movement.  Also, if that clamp is not holding the throttle cable tight, your carb will back down by itself.  :)

clip

I found on mine the riveted connection for the throttle lever to bracket had worked loose over the years. Got the vise grips out and clamped it gently a few times and now it's got the right amount of friction needed to hold the throttle where I place it.

Edited by clip