Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Tire storage

BairleaFarm

How do you store your extra tires? on end? full of air? let the air out?

Jim_M

How do you store your extra tires? on end? full of air? let the air out?

All of the above, in a pile in the corner.

Nick

Ive got most of mine up on the wall with a kind of 2x4 tire rack. I did have an older car guy tell me that tires should not be stored on wood. Somthing about causing rot I think is what he said. :banghead:

garage004.jpg

KyBlue

Nick...ur Sagging a bit in the middle bud..

Rollerman

Scott maybe the ones in the middle are loaded? :banghead:

Nick whats the turf with the white spoke rim....looks like something off a Ferris Z turn?

HorseFixer

Nick, :banghead: Im gonna hafta knock you down a full letter grade on the MESSY GARAGE award cause those tires look way to organized :omg: Keep showing me stuff like that and I am going to declare myself the winner :banana: :USA:

Duke

BairleaFarm

Do you all let the air out or keep them inflated?

jerrell

:USA: david i keep mine aired up, keeps them from warping if the bead breaks down,but i really don't think it matters, :banghead: jerry

Nick

Stephen, Yep those spoke wheels are from a Z but a Toro out front Z mower.

Scott, There is a chain in the middle so thats all the more sag it can get unless my chain pulls out. :banghead:

Duke, That was in the shed and it has been cleaned out this summer. Until the Portland swap last week the other side of the shed looked like this.

garagebig002.jpg

sorekiwi

Do you all let the air out or keep them inflated?

On most of the tires I've got stored, the tires let their own air out...

HorseFixer

Nick all I can say is you have lots of stuff :banghead:

Duke

linen beige

David, I know that auto tire makers recommend that their tires be stored deflated, standing upright, and rotated every few days to avoid causing flat areas to develop. It also makes it much easier to pull one from the middle of a group. I've never heard of wood storage racks causing damage to tires?

Nick

I did some looking for proper tire storage and the first 3 mentioned storing them on clean dry wood. So the wood causing damage must be one of those old wives tales. They did say that a cool area like a basement is better than up in a hot garage.

rustyoldjunk

On most of the tires I've got stored, the tires let their own air out...

:banghead: mine too whether stored or on a tractor.

Duff

I did some looking for proper tire storage and the first 3 mentioned storing them on clean dry wood. So the wood causing damage must be one of those old wives tales. They did say that a cool area like a basement is better than up in a hot garage.

Don't know about the wood thing, although I know they've changed the formulation of pressure treated wood for environmental reasons. You have to use coated or SS deck screws now or the chemicals will eat the screws -I've seen it happen. :thumbs: Don't know how or if that translates to rubber on PT wood.

I'm told the real enemies of tires are UV light and ozone. Now I'm not advocating putting sunscreen on our tires :omg: , but I have found one trick that seems to work pretty well for ozone. On my small equipment I spray liquid silicone on the tires once a year as recommended by a buddy in the tire biz. Just for grins, I tried an experiment of my own. I had some extra heavy rubber-coated electrical cable, so I cut two pieces about three feet long. One I wiped down with silicone, the other I left bare. I hung both of these outside on the southwest-facing side of my garage five years ago. The one with silicone I recoated each spring. Five years later, the coated one still looks like new. The untreated one has started to powder and stiffen significantly. That's a totally unscientific test, but it tells me there's something to my buddy's idea....... :USA:

Somewhere in this group I think we've got one or more members with some background in chemistry, so I'd love to hear their input!

Duff :banghead:

T-Mo

Just to show you all what a nice guy I am, I can store 2 new 6-12 ags... :hide:

linen beige

Just to show you all what a nice guy I am, I can store 2 new 6-12 ags... :hide:

I'm cramped for space, but I could store some 26x12x12 ags, at least 8 pairs of 6x12 ags, and a pair of 27x9.50x15 ags myself! Maybe even fit in a couple pairs of good 4.80x4x8 Silvertowns if'n anybody has some they're tired (no pun intended) of tripping over. :D