chex313

Is this the way to remove 520H Onan Main Bearing Pulley?

chex313

Ah Ha! Now I see the problem. Here it is: I thought getting the pulley off was now going to be easy...

If I go into any project, no matter how large or small, just before I start it I always say out loud.........boy, this is going to be a pain in the $@$.

It seems to help and sometimes, it actually goes smooth! Oh and my neighbors think I need to be institutionalized!

There is a sadistic(Or masochistic?) pleasure I derive from jinxing myself... :) Problem solving 101..The harder the problem the more pleasure in solving in it! So I'm going to be in stitches if I get this resolved. I'm kinda worried that those close by to me might be thinking they'll be a 520H up for sale soon...I know the thought has crossed my mind.. LOL

ericj, on 05 Apr 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

not sure if i follow you but if you got the drive pulley off and torqued the bolts all you need to do is emory cloth the shaft and slid the pulley back on tighten set screws then slide sleeve on and clutch disc on and bolt together. i use plumber's sand cloth to clean the shafts

No Eric its not off yet, I just forced a swivel extension on to the bolts and got enough of them to torque them. 

In post #10  

Red doesn't have what I have left when I get the first shiny sleeve off. Its the shaft(Or another sleeve??) with the keyway in it.

So I don't know if thats connected to the pulley or comes off separate and then the pulley comes off, as Red's Pic shows.

Never mind Red's pulley is half way off so that part is hidden. 

In any case I bent the 1/4 20 bolts I was using, trying to pull it off, used a torch and tried 4 times today. I didn't see it budging. So I sprayed it with Liquid wrench for the 20th time and quit and had a beer.  :beer:

Edited by chex313

Red-Bovine

If I recall, on my Onan, that sleeve just pulled off the shaft without any force. I was lucky there. The heat was the answer.

Red

• Like 1

chex313

Things learned today...

1) Use hardened bolts with puller

2) Use impact wrench

3) Get it red hot

Drive Pulley finally off!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

post-14901-0-57361500-1428436858_thumb.j

post-14901-0-03124000-1428436859_thumb.j

post-14901-0-38024900-1428436859_thumb.j

• Like 1

chex313

Anyone know what the FT LBS for the 4 clutch plate screws are? I have been searching for a while and can only find the bearing housing Ft lbs. Or do you just make them tight? ;)

Theroundhousernr

I just usually snug them up. Not a gasket surface but you sure don't want to over tighten them either. They also require blue Loctite . I would not go more then 10 to 12 ft pounds on those 1/4 inch threads.

• Like 1