chex313

Is this the way to remove 520H Onan Main Bearing Pulley?

chex313

Folks the first pulley came off easily. This inner one with the set screws(Loosened) is really tight. Is there a another way to pull it? Or do I just crank it down? I hit it with penetrating oil. Waiting for morning...

Thanks 

post-14901-0-67847900-1428110828_thumb.j

ericj

there is a sleeve that slides over the crank and the 2 little c clips and 4 bolts holds onto the pulley, it is SUPPOSE to slid on and off by hand but i guess you figured out that yours is not one that will. spray it real good with penetrating oil on the inside and between the sleeve and pulley and if that don't work, try loosing the allen screws and pull the whole works. which looks like what you are doing. i had 2 that i pulled the other week. the one on a 10 hp kohler that i sold and the guy didn't want or need my gear drive pulley but the motor had sat in moisture to long and the sleeve would not come off and i broke a 1/4x20x4 bolt trying to pull it so i let him deal with it good luck

eric j   

chex313

Thanks

Other than the set screws nothing else is holding it on then... Need to torque the bearing bolts down and see if they stop leaking. Thought this would be easy. :tools-hammerdrill:

After I break it, ;). I'll be asking where to get another.  :eek:  :)

Edited by chex313

MalMac

Check to make sure you do not have two set screws in one hole. Sometimes they stack them as a way to keep them from backing off.

chex313

Check to make sure you do not have two set screws in one hole. Sometimes they stack them as a way to keep them from backing off.

So they come out? They stick fast at the top, and I thought I would break the allen wrench with any more force. Only found 2, yet they are spaced like there should be 3...I'll see if I can force them out first thing in the morning.

Thanks

cleat

One thing I did notice in your picture is how badly your PTO hoop is worn near the top and the fact that you should have a spacer washer then the clip over the motor plate not below as shown.

What I do when a puller is not working is to pull it up good and tight then give the end of he puller a couple of good raps with a hammer, sometimes this will break things loose.

Remember to wear leather gloves and safety glasses when using a puller as things can get nasty quickly.

Cleat

Edited by cleat

squonk

I think by your pic you stand a good chance of destroying that pulley. You really need to get that sleeve off first. Even if you have to cut it off and get a new one. You also need to get those set screw out and get some oil down the set screw holes. Then you need a different puller. One where you can thread bolts into the threaded holes in the pulley like a harmonic balancer puller.

Edited by squonk

cleat

I agree,  that bearing race/ sleeve has a lot of surface area to grip and hold. You could try to carefully heat it but be careful you do not damage the engine.

When you do finally get the pulley off and go to re-install it and the bearing inner race, clean the shaft real good then apply some never-seize so it will come apart easily in the future.

If you do destroy the bearing race, a new one is $47.49 (I just looked it up).

Cleat

Theroundhousernr

You will most certainly bust the pulley doing it that way... Ask me how I know..... First, the bearing sleeve for the pto must be removed. Next , try to get the set screws out so you can soak it with penetrating oil real good. This is the hard part. Go take a nap, maybe switch to a new project for a little bit to let the oil do its thing. Then come back, thread 1/4 20 rod into the holes with two nuts on the end and use a steering wheel or harmonic balancer pull and an impact. They usually will pop off. With the oil leak I am surprized its fighting you this much.

Red-Bovine

Here is what I used to pull that pulley off. It may also help to warm up the pulley with a propane torch.

Red

post-10335-0-97894100-1428151201_thumb.j

Edited by Red-Bovine
  • Like 3

chex313

One thing I did notice in your picture is how badly your PTO hoop is worn near the top and the fact that you should have a spacer washer then the clip over the motor plate not below as shown.

What I do when a puller is not working is to pull it up good and tight then give the end of he puller a couple of good raps with a hammer, sometimes this will break things loose.

Remember to wear leather gloves and safety glasses when using a puller as things can get nasty quickly.

Cleat

That loop was worn from the PO. The cotter Pin at the bottom was missing and the loop rode down on the pulley possibly for years.

Thanks for the info folks, thats what I thought was going to happen(Breakage). I did not know that sleeve came off first. I'll get the proper puller and work on all your good suggestions, today. Appreciate the help. :)

Oh and if anybody can give me a link to that exact pulley and a B&M store. I have Napa, Lowes, HD...and others but it would be good to have a part #. Thank You!

Edited by chex313

WH nut

I have had good luck removing the race using a brass punch and smacking it a few times to work it loose. And to remove the set screws, soak them good then run them out until they get tight and tighten them up again. Do this until they are free

• Like 1

chex313

I have had good luck removing the race using a brass punch and smacking it a few times to work it loose. And to remove the set screws, soak them good then run them out until they get tight and tighten them up again. Do this until they are free

Set screws came right out. Once I knew they did, I didn't worry about breaking the allen wrench and cranked on them. They were not stacked. Everythings just soaking in penetrating oil, till I get the proper tools.

I am taking pic's of everything and hope to refurb the whole 520H to a standard that does not get laughed at too hard by some of the good folks here who have done such wonderful restores to the venerable old machines. Its a working machine so until I get another mower, it has to be used for some dirty jobs. I just got sick of the lights blowing fuses last year when I needed them...So its lead me down this trail of cleaning everything up. 

One other question...The sleeve has at least one groove that looks like it should have had a clip in it...It does not. Also there may be another groove in the sleeve right up against the pulley, my eyes are not too good doesn't appear to be a clip in either. Are they just missing or are those grooves for something else?

chex313

This thing has gotten the best of me today. I got a hold of a harmonic balancer puller...That will be the easy part.

I can't get the sleeve off ! :( . That sleeve is not attached in any way ? Correct? (Other than rust) How do you pull on it without marring it? I have become to think that the groove in it is for some special puller. If it comes to it what is the least harmful way to cut it off? Are we talking torch or saw?

EDIT: Didn't want to have dinner with out one more try got it. Vice grips, rag, Torch.... :thumbs: I was so happy I called the kid to video it.. :techie-eureka:

I needed to take it apart to understand how it came apart... :)

Thank you everybody Used everyones advice to finally get the sleeve off!!

Dave

Edited by chex313

ericj

so was there or was there not 2 pieces of steel in the shape of a C held on by 4 bolts. the C clips fit in the groove on the sleeve and the bolts 2 each hold them onto the drive pulley. if those pieces are not there your clutch will not stay together. glad you got the sleeve off will have to try the heat next time i have one stuck

eric j 

chex313

so was there or was there not 2 pieces of steel in the shape of a C held on by 4 bolts. the C clips fit in the groove on the sleeve and the bolts 2 each hold them onto the drive pulley. if those pieces are not there your clutch will not stay together. glad you got the sleeve off will have to try the heat next time i have one stuck

eric j 

Yeah Eric, I hadn't even noticed those 2 plates fit into the groove, I just tossed everything into a box. Now that you mention it with the other Spacer plate(Which have those 2 bolt "C"plates attached) that separates the pulleys that would put that groove right at the edge.  Where the 2 bolt "C" plates would than fit into the groove. Which now explains that groove to me. LOL. 

It wouldn't have taken me so long, but I didn't know what parts were attached to each other. i thought the sleeve was attached to the pulley, till you folks mentioned otherwise. I often add 1 plus 1 and get 3. 

All the parts are fine, I have been running this thing since around 06 or 07. I have only concerned myself with the mechanics...now I want to take the time and make it look nice. 

The first owner left it outside for years, and worked it on his farm hard. I got it for $500. Sold my B80 for $450. Its been inside since then. Added a seat, and thats about it. 

I'll get to HD tomorrow for the long bolts or rods to pull the Drive Pulley...I'm sure it will come right off with the sleeve off, using the Harmonic puller.

Edited by chex313

WH nut

The groove up next to the pulley should have had the 2 half moon stainless steel pieces of sheet metal in them to hold the sleeve on

chex313

The groove up next to the pulley should have had the 2 half moon stainless steel pieces of sheet metal in them to hold the sleeve on

No there is a disc or plate that goes in front of the drive pulley, the 2 "C" plates fit on that disc and the bolts thread thru that disc and into the drive pulley. The groove sits back away from the drive pulley maybe 1/2". Its easy to forget that extra plate. 

Either that or my set up is not standard. 

I can show pics of that extra plate/disc if any one questions it. In fact I have a pic of the collar and you can see another plate has to fit in front of the Drive Pulley for the C plates to fit in the groove.

post-14901-0-29735800-1428207036_thumb.j

Edited by chex313

ericj

yea i guess i forgot that the clutch plate goes on and the clips and bolts hold the hole shooting match together then slid the pto on and the hoop holds it on, sounds like you have it under control now though

eric j

chex313

yea i guess i forgot that the clutch plate goes on and the clips and bolts hold the hole shooting match together then slid the pto on and the hoop holds it on, sounds like you have it under control now though

eric j

Its a shame this whole production is just to get to the bolts that are leaking in the side of the case. That will warrant a whole nother thread as you folks explain how and where to get a new gasket. The only thing I know are the torque specs...25 to 27Ft LBS. I don't know wether to just tighten them if they are loose or should the gasket be replaced?

So far I have pretty much done every step the wrong way...:(  Which is great because I always remember my mistakes way better then the successes (As few and far between as they might be ;)

Edited by chex313

ericj

if loose, retorque  clean up real good and put the pulley back on and run it for a short while and see what it looks like. now that you had it apart it will come apart easier next time. you can pull it apart and replace the gasket. talk to boomer in influence on here he has the parts and knowledge to help you. i have pulled the bearing plate off but have never tried to put it back together. your main bearing is in the plate so i would hate to have you mess that up some how. do some homework before tearing into it good luck

eric j  

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

Mine leaked like a sieve at that same place. In fact, it was so loose, you could see the bearing plate vibrate when I bought it. Was leaking a pint a minute. All I did was tighten it down and all has been good since in my possession. I even bought a crank seal and gasket but never used it. Still sitting on the shelf.

• Like 1

chex313

Thanks neighbors!! I'll take that advice. :cool:

I can't believe I thought getting the pulley off was now going to be easy... :banghead:  I'll stop in to the local Toro dealer and speak to them tomorrow. I did manage to torque the bolts, they were not that loose. 

If I have much more trouble, I'll just leave it on and reach behind with a rag to clean the engine, that would probably be the smart thing. It would just be nice to clean the shaft and get some "Never Seize" on it.

Edited by chex313

boovuc

Ah Ha! Now I see the problem. Here it is: I thought getting the pulley off was now going to be easy...

If I go into any project, no matter how large or small, just before I start it I always say out loud.........boy, this is going to be a pain in the $@$.

It seems to help and sometimes, it actually goes smooth! Oh and my neighbors think I need to be institutionalized!

• Like 1

ericj

not sure if i follow you but if you got the drive pulley off and torqued the bolts all you need to do is emory cloth the shaft and slid the pulley back on tighten set screws then slide sleeve on and clutch disc on and bolt together. i use plumber's sand cloth to clean the shafts

eric j