Caladelind

Brought home a 212 H

Caladelind

Hi, new member here. Growing up as a kid my uncle had a couple Wheel Horse tractors back in the early 80's and I've alway been fond of them.

Well I was looking for a push mower and an opprotunity came up for a free mower. When I went to look right behind the mower was a wheel horse tractor and another brand tiller.  She said it all needed to go and asked if I would like them. of course I said yes.

So I just brought home a 212 H,  I did not want to try starting it since I've was told it had not been ran for at least 3 years. So before I get this thing going what are some things I should check out? I know I need to see if I can spin the flywheel to make sure the engine is not seized before attempting to start it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

~Cal

• Like 1

fast88pu

Check the oil and make sure the belts aren't rusted in the pulleys.

grnlark

If the engine moves, check the oil. Pop the plug, shoot a "little" WD40 down there and spin the motor by hand with the plug out. Make sure the piston has some lubrication. Squirt a small shot of starter fluid down the plug hole, put the plug back in and try to start it - just to see if it fires.

squonk

I had a 210-h I bought new and kept for 20 yrs. Great little lawn tractor. I mowed, plowed and blew snow with it. All I ever needed to fix was a tie rod and charging diode

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Cal, pay attention to all the comments above, best of luck. Welcome to red square and please post some pics.

Glenn

muz123

I use my 212-6 to plow snow/blow snow  and cut grass and it needed nothing except for a spark plug and a regulater for the 12yrs i had it, great tractor i tell ya! i still use it too has 893 hours on it  :) second owner bought it back in 2004

Edited by muz123

Caladelind

Well here we are... went out and stuck the charger on the battery. Filled the gas tank after checking the oil. Had gas runing all over the place. Pulled the full tank drained it. Checked over the port coming out of the bottom of the tank. I've got the leak stopped but going to need to replace that part. Got it back on. Few hits on the starter, turns over and not firing. Pulled the plug and it looked good. Played with the throttle a bit and it comes to life. Is running a little rough, throttle is going to need to be adjusted as well as the drive (forward / reverse) lever. Deck works great. Overall going to be very happy once I get it cleaned and tuned up.

Will get some photo's taken and post.

So gonna need to get a new head light for the front left. It's busted out and there is a dent in the center of the front (grill area) going to try to lightly pop it out.

• Like 1

muz123

I have an extra headlight set if you need one. $25

Edited by muz123