Sign in to follow this  
CasualObserver

Root Cellaring

CasualObserver

I split this topic from one of the plowing topics. Mike (Teddy da Bear) had said this,

My wife and I are wanting to "go big" next year too. Just cannot figure out how to store vegatables long-term. We can freeze corn and beans, but that is about it. Canned tomatoes coming out our ears. But I like fresh....not canned....lol

Mike... research a term called root cellaring. It's the old fashioned way of naturally preserving fruits and vegetables in the root cellar. It's what folks did before they had deep freezes and food saver bags and such. Still a very effective method, but not commonly used anymore.

Nick

Jason's root cellar idea brought up some interesting info.

Root cellar link

Dad has mentioned Carrots and maybe a few other veggies can be left right in the garden. Depends on the ground and might need raised beds. Also think you need to cover them with straw or something.

CasualObserver

Nice link Nick, thanks.

We still have a root cellar on my grandparents' property. It isn't used anymore and hasn't been maintained for many years. My grandpa tried to turn it into a wine cellar about 10 years ago, but it didn't work well for that and he had to move it all back in the house. Couldn't keep the humidity regulated right. When it comes down to it, it's simple earth science that just isn't commonly used anymore.

Curmudgeon

Jason's root cellar idea brought up some interesting info.

Root cellar link

Dad has mentioned Carrots and maybe a few other veggies can be left right in the garden. Depends on the ground and might need raised beds. Also think you need to cover them with straw or something.

A lot of root crops can be left in the ground so long as critter damage isn't a problem in your area.

If your ground freezes, you do have to lay down enough mulch to keep the ground from freezing. A few square bales of straw or hay works nicely, which can be added to the compost pile come spring, or broken apart and used for mulching plants.

Teddy da Bear

Root Cellars? Shoot I married into a family of root cellars. My wife is Amish....lol

But the Amish don't even do it much anymore.

(propane powered appliances and generators....lol)

I hav e had that scenario also. Left carrots and radishes under the snow. We were amazed that they even kept growing. Radishes were too big and mealy to eat by January.