BigKen

Compression question.

BigKen

Hi guys. Found a 416-8 with a Kohler engine. It is a clean tractor but owner says motor lost compression. I asked if he checked compression. He said he was riding and it sputtered and shut down. He tried to restart and the starter spins fast so he figured it lost compression. I have read before that the key on the flywheel can sheer causing the flywheel to turn fast. He came down to $300. Do you guys think it's worth the gamble? It's a one owner. Looks real good with excellent tires. He say rear end and tranny are perfect. Not sure what to do. Too far to drive just to look. Thoughts?

Dhodge

Sounds like it broke a rod. I doubt it's the woodruff keyway. That happens allot on push mowers, but not as frequently on Garden tractors.  Direct drive mower blade verses a belt driven pto.

K series parts can be hard to find and until you break it down you will not know if the crank needs to be ground or if the cylinder needs to be bored.  In either case you will need piston, possible rod, rings and wrist pin.  $300 is a fairly high starting point to pay for a tractor needing a motor rebuild in my opinion.

BigKen

Thanks!

pacer

Yep, what Hodge says --- Almost certainly the rod has destructed. You would have to figure a 'major' overhaul with not only rod and piston, but having the crank turned and the cyl bored and even possible valve work. All of which means a great deal of money - and, time. Possibly could get by with less, but figure all that in in.

But -- if its a clean tractor otherwise then that $300 is at least getting close and without seeing it just may be worth that.

Ed Kennell

What comes with it?  deck, plow, blower, clevis hitch , etc.    Implements alone could easily be worth $300.