1989520HC

520 and The Onan????

1989520HC

Going to look at a 520 tomorrow. Guy says it surges at idle. If you pull the choke on a little it stops. I would think it is lean? Will a carb kit fix this or does the throttle shaft get so worn it starts running lean? Are the newer Onans any better. This is a 95. Anything else I should look at?

varosd

Most likely it's just a dirty carb...any pictures?

• Like 2

1989520HC

Did they improve the motors any in later years? Better valve seats? How hard to find a carb kit?

lynnmor

I don't think the motors changed, but the carbs got worse as they changed them for emissions.  There are cheap carb kits on ebay, but the needles don't work smoothly and the intake gaskets turn to mush in a year.  You might check with onanparts.com for parts, you probably only need the basic carb and intake gaskets.

• Like 1

ericj

take the top of the carb and clean it. the onan manual which you can down load on here will walk you through it. pull the jets out and clean the bowl area put it back together and fire it up no new parts needed only optional. i've clean a lot of these carbs and haven't had to buy parts to do it. have had to on rare occasion swap parts or carbs because i couldn't get them clean, but if i had a ultra sonic cleaner........ as far as the valve seats clean the block fins and block real good and adjust the valves and you should be golden

eric j   

• Like 3

1989520HC

It has around 900 hours on it.