Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

953 differential carnage

Rollerman

Just thought I post some pics of a 953 trans I opened up today. :banghead:

They have a differential with two spider gears inside of them...mine are now sans teeth & the diff case is cracked to boot.

So....going to ask if any of you trans experts know if the 1 1/8" axles from the 953 diff fit any other diffs "curious if I can mod a heavy duty 8 speed into the 953" or vice a versa...will a heavy duty 8 pinnion except the 953 axles & slide back into the 953's unique trans case?

Pics......... :USA:

1030082056.jpg

1030082056a.jpg

1030082057.jpg

Raider12

HOLY SMOKE! :banghead: The last time I saw a diff that looked like that I had put 500 HP to it on the race track! I can't answer your tech question, but I feel your pain my friend!

JimD

sorry to see that tickster. i don't have the answers you need, but i'm curious as to what happened to it. was this a puller?

sorekiwi

Well, thats what happens when kids learn to do burnouts....

Sorry Tickster, cant help you here. Impessive though!

Rollerman

This is a tractor I've owned a few times. :USA:

Always did have a weird feel to the trans when you counte rotated the tires by hand.

I've been told the 953 & 1054 being such a heavy tractor were hard on diffs....likely why so many are found minus the rear end. :banghead:

Thats where I'm comeing at with my 8 pinion diff swap question...would be an upgrade over the early two spider gear design

Kelly

I know of a guy at a repair shop/ tractor salvage that put a 8 speed in a 1054 and he said he put the long axles in the 8 speed from the 1054, I didn't see it, but that's what I was told, he is a good guy, so I belived him.

sorekiwi

1030082056a.jpg

Something looks kinda weird to me here, though I'm not sure what it is.

Why are only the ends of the teeth broken off? Most of the blown up diff's that I've seen have been on racecars, but they usually peel the whole tooth off right at the root. Also on your diff its the 'heel' end of the tooth thats damaged, normally under heavy load the gears try to push each other away, out of mesh, so its the 'toe' end that gets more of a point loading and breaks the tip off.

Could it be that some foriegn object broke off in the diff and caused it to eat itself? (assuming theres no damage to the rest of the gears in the trans).

Just looks weird to me, but I cant put my finger on it...

Teddy da Bear

If this were my transmission. I would take the gears and bring them up to the South Bend Gear Works. (I think it is still there on Sample St.).

Probably cost you a pretty penny.....but if the tractor is worth it. Doesn't hurt to ask?

Rollerman

put a 8 speed in a 1054 and he said he put the long axles in the 8 speed from the 1054

Kelly kind of what I'm shooting for....but backwards. :banghead:

If this were my transmission. I would take the gears and bring them up to the South Bend Gear Works. (I think it is still there on Sample St.).

Probably cost you a pretty penny

Mike your dreaming. :USA:

When I was looking for a place to make a gear for my Pond Lever...they shot me a price that would have bought & lot of tractors....& a diamond ring for the miss.

Still hopeing someone will chime in who can tell me what may swap in or over.

HorseFixer

So thats what the problem was with the tractor Ty had huh? :banghead: I remember looking at it out in his garage last spring. Steven I dont know much about the gear Question part but if ya need the case welded not a problem mate! Lemme know!

Cheers Duke

TT

This isn't a solution for a "purist" restoration, but why not put the entire 8 speed in the tractor (complete with the 5 bolt wheel hubs) and have a pair of combination wheel adapters / spacers made with the 5 bolt pattern on the inside and the 4 bolt on the outside?

I have never laid hands on a 953/1054, but I'm sure the trans mounting plate can be drilled / modified for the different bolt pattern. :USA:

A few mods to the brake linkage as needed, and the correct diameter pulley for the 5/8" input shaft and you'd be in business. :banghead:

Butch

Something looks kinda weird to me here, though I'm not sure what it is.

Why are only the ends of the teeth broken off? Most of the blown up diff's that I've seen have been on racecars, but they usually peel the whole tooth off right at the root. Also on your diff its the 'heel' end of the tooth thats damaged, normally under heavy load the gears try to push each other away, out of mesh, so its the 'toe' end that gets more of a point loading and breaks the tip off.

Could it be that some foriegn object broke off in the diff and caused it to eat itself? (assuming theres no damage to the rest of the gears in the trans).

Just looks weird to me, but I cant put my finger on it...

I've done some work on truck and jeep diffs and I've never seen this type of damage or anything this severe. I figured the diff would have jammed up first with the debris before it could have done all that damage. And it would have taken a lot of torque to do it.

Nick

That was definitely some gear carnage. There are washers that I assume set the backlash for the gears, if they were not correct could that cause it break the ends of the gears. :USA: When I had a 1054 I thought about swapping in an 8 speed and maybe some 26-12-12 tires.

Im wondering what Rare Hard to Find Gears like that might sell for on ebay. :banghead:

trans001.jpg

This one might need some welding also. Piece stayed in until the bolts came out.

trans002.jpg

trans003.jpg

TT

The actual differential is also the same in the 1276, 1277, and the 1-7931 1968 Charger 9. I think the 1057/1257 might also use that same spider gear differential.

CasualObserver

Hrmm... If that's the case.... I seem to remember Dale had a Charger 9 rolling chassis to get rid of... I bet he'd make ya a deal!

TT

I had one of those Charger 9 rears here too, but it's in NC with a Gator now. :USA:

Just make sure you look for the correct 1968 Charger 9...... the #5062 Uni-Drive used in the 1-7932 model used the "conventional" 10 pinion limited slip differential. (the 1-7931 used the #5054 Uni-Drive)

(Hmmmm...... now does that mean a 10 pinion differential can be substituted for the spider gear unit? :banghead: )

sorekiwi

(Hmmmm...... now does that mean a 10 pinion differential can be substituted for the spider gear unit? :banghead: )

I was thinking exactly that as I was reading your reply!!! :USA:

Dale still had a charger 9 rear end as of last weekend...

Sarge

If I can get my son-in-law to help haul the 1277's diff section into the basement shop, I intend to find out if the 10 gear pinion will fit inside the housing correctly . Not too keen on the 2 pinion gear diff behind the 12hp Kohler and doing the work I expect out of it . I know the original diff in the 1277 has a lot of slop, wonder now if this is the same issue of thrust distance ....or wear ?

Sarge

Nick

To make them even stronger cant you replace the 10 pinions with 8? :banghead:

HorseFixer

I know a guy who has a 953 that is sunk up to the axles in mud, :banghead: the tractor has a blown engine. I have called him and am seeing if he wants to sell it. I could use a few items off of it and maybe Stephen & I can molest :omg: it to bring our horses back to life! The way I figure the guy is going to let that one he has ROT INTO THE EARTH so might as well get some parts off to rescue our horses! :USA: normally I hate molesting a tractor but in this case this would be the easiest fix for Stephen!

Rollerman

To make them even stronger cant you replace the 10 pinions with 8?

Guys as Nick has pointed out...the 8 pinion is indeed stronger & assembles the same....I am just useing a 10 pinion because it's what I have on the shelf. :banghead:

I could use a few items off of it and maybe Stephen & I can molest

sorekiwi

:imstupid: question maybe, but wont the 10 or 8 pinion differential fit into your origional case? Wht not just swap the diff?

Rollerman

It would/should Mike....guess at this point I have to modify the axles for snap rings anyway.

Since I'm that far along I figured I'd see if I could put the complete 8 speed in the tractor for the my previous threads reasons. :banghead:

I may have the parts located anyhow to just put things back together the way they came.

Guess it's been awhile sine I've messed with anything in the shop & haveing fun at the moment with it. :USA:

hoosier

More 953 carnage. Here's mine. :banghead:

November22008016.jpg

HorseFixer

Well Steven we have a deal on the 953 donor carcus tractor I will call you in a bit after dinner! Feedin the DUKE comes first :banghead:

Duke