redhorse101

604 engine swap

redhorse101

I have a wheel horse 604 and someone swapped out the engine I can tell because they made a new mounting plate to the frame but can any one tell me what is suppose to be in it and what else uses the same engine so I can go to a salvage yard and find one?

squonk

They came with a Tecumseh. I believe an H-60 but I could be mistaken. All I know is I went through 4 of them growing up!

Edited by squonk

Racinbob

Yupper duppers, H-60 it it.

redhorse101 :WRS:    and    :wwp:   :)

slammer302

They came on tillers and snow blowers a lot back in the day this one came off a craftsman tillerf8df77b1f3f0b6c80ea940ebe80a3a5d.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish

:WRS:

The original engine would have used a plate to mount it to the frame to raise the shaft. You can see the plate on Slammer's pic. Post a good picture of what you have on there.

redhorse101
post-14838-142664853101_thumb.jpgpost-14838-142664859264_thumb.jpgpost-14838-142664862796_thumb.jpg

redhorse101

Do these pics help?

wallfish

Yup, that is not the original mounting plate. Can you find any identification numbers on that engine? I might have an extra Tecumseh mounting plate but will have to take a look around to see.

Here's some info for your tractor ---  604 1964 Lawn & Garden Tractor 604 4-Speed   ENGINE---Tecumseh  MODEL-H60  SPEC-75064B

604 would be a pull start engine and the 654 was an electric start but otherwise the same tractor

Edited by wallfish

redhorse101
9613656e17861f4f6b5eebb5a9b1b6e0.jpg

slammer302

Looks like you have a Tecumseh you just need the correct mounting plate

wallfish

That's a 5hp (HS50) Tecumseh from a snowblower ? (looks like 110v electric starter switch mounting  holes are right below the numbers) and will certainly work until you can find a H60, if that's what you prefer. H60 pull start engines should be fairly easy to find, it's the 12v electric start with charging coils that are difficult.

Small Kohler engines will also fit but not original. I use an 8hp kohler in my 654. It's a worker and FAR from a show tractor so I prefer the reliabilty of the Kohler engine.

redhorse101

Thanks everyone you have been a big help! Wallfish if you can find that mounting plate I would be interested in it thanks!