Sign in to follow this  
bitten

bitten

I spyed a 653 on the way home today being used as a yard ornamint(sp). I have been looking for production numbers but havent been able to find. No one was home at the time, so Im going to go back later. Can anyone tell me something about the 653 as I dont know anything about them, kinda give me something to go on. I havent made my way to the round hoods yet and it didnt look to be in that bad of shape.

P.J.

TJ

I have a 654 that I tore down to nuts and bolts. I don't believe there is that much difference from the one you are looking at. It isn't hard to work on, or diffecult to find new or used parts.

BPjunk

PJ,

The early 60's Tecumseh powered models like the 502, 552, 603, 653, 604 and 654 used the aluminum block that wore out quicker then the cast iron block Kohler models thus making them harder to find over the years. :USA:

Although only 6 horse power the 653 could use a 36 inch gear drive mower deck and just about any other attachment Wheel Horse offfered back then.

The 653 will have a three spoked steering wheel, a two peice gas tank, a 3 AMP charging system and the Tecumseh H-60 75009 engine will have a block mounted fuel pump. :banghead:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1225400785.jpg

bitten

Thanks guys for the response. I didnt make it over there tonight, but it looked like it had been sitting for a bit and it will be there tomarrow :banghead: . How hard it s to find a replacement engine for this, or do you just find what will fit and go with it? I wouldnt whant to cut it up trying to get an engine in it like I see sometimes, but it wouldnt have to be 100% eather.

P.J.

Michael Bullington

hey bill,

Man i had a good ole 653 all matching numbers correct ...should have kept it,,,I miss it now!!!!

what year or models had the fuel pump, I know it changed somewhere along the line

thanks

Michael

TJ

If Your willing to be a little patient, You can find an old H-60 on ebay at the Tecumseh engine site. You can also bore and sleve the motors if they are worn. It's a little pricey, but well worth it to keep the tractor as close to original as possible. Iv'e seen to many chop jobs on perfectly hoods. Save it if you can.