tractorhogg

Wheel Horse D160 axle bearing/bushing

tractorhogg

I need to replace an outer axle bearing in the left side of the trans-axle. I understand I will have to take the entire trans-axle out  and place it in a vise with the left side up where I will need to split and pull the case apart and drive the bearing from the inside. I also understand that I need to check the axle to ensure it meets specs and is not damaged. Does anyone have any other hints or comments on this repair? I have the tractor up on blocks with weight off the axles and do not plan on doing this repair immediately, but I would like to start gather information. I have the service manual ( I think), but i haven't seen this repair in any of the manuals. Is the D series trans-axle similar to any other Wheel Horse rear-ends? Thanks 

slammer302

If it has a hitch pen in it start pb blasting it they can be a pain to get out

groundhog47

Aside from pump and separate motor, hubs, and maybe axle length, would think is similar if not identical on the transaxle. The motor removal will leave a big void so you may want to drain first and tag your lines as to location on motor and take care removing manifold. Protect all opened hyd areas with rag or suitable cover to keep out debris. The motor and manifold gasket will almost assuredly need replaced, so get you some along with case gasket, some use RTV sealant. Gasket is economical. Your hubs may be stubborn, :handgestures-fingerscrossed: be prepared for a fight and they can break/crack without warning. D's hubs are prob a lot rarer also. If you get a chance get some pics and show us what we missed by not being there rootin' ya on!!! :handgestures-thumbup:   

Bye the way where in Ok, Shawnee/Earlsboro was my old stompin grounds!

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 2

tractorhogg

Aside from pump and separate motor, hubs, and maybe axle length, would think is similar if not identical on the transaxle. The motor removal will leave a big void so you may want to drain first and tag your lines as to location on motor and take care removing manifold. Protect all opened hyd areas with rag or suitable cover to keep out debris. The motor and manifold gasket will almost assuredly need replaced, so get you some along with case gasket, some use RTV sealant. Gasket is economical. Your hubs may be stubborn, :handgestures-fingerscrossed: be prepared for a fight and they can break/crack without warning. D's hubs are prob a lot rarer also. If you get a chance get some pics and show us what we missed by not being there rootin' ya on!!! :handgestures-thumbup:   

Bye the way where in Ok, Shawnee/Earlsboro was my old stompin grounds!

I'm near Claremore, 25 miles north of Tulsa. Previous owner/member already removed the hub, by taking a angle grinder length wise, it will be easy to weld it up. Where is a good place to buy the gaskets? Thanks, a Bunch

If it has a hitch pen in it start pb blasting it they can be a pain to get out

not sure what you mean by the hitch [pen] pin?

slammer302

I'm not sure if D's have them

tractorhogg

I'm not sure if D's have them

They do, Thanks

pfrederi

D hubs can be a real problem.  Do not pull to hard on the hub flange it is much thinner in relation to the length of the hub than  other horses and it will break. Pull against the back of the hub. 

I would not recommend RTV if you do choose to use it be exceeding careful that no excess squeezes out inside the system.  It only takes a tiny bit coming loose to cause a problem...have you ever looked at the size of the hole in a Sundstrand acceleration valve?

post-1023-0-82923700-1426252221_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-86192500-1426252245_thumb.jp

• Like 1

tractorhogg

D hubs can be a real problem.  Do not pull to hard on the hub flange it is much thinner in relation to the length of the hub than  other horses and it will break. Pull against the back of the hub. 

I would not recommend RTV if you do choose to use it be exceeding careful that no excess squeezes out inside the system.  It only takes a tiny bit coming loose to cause a problem...have you ever looked at the size of the hole in a Sundstrand acceleration valve?

Thanks for the input, my friend and I had a machinist build a custom hub puller similar to the one in the picture, but the previous owner had already pulled this one, so the hub is off. I do not care for RTV, because unlike using a gasket, I continually think of where the RTV might be, or might not be

groundhog47

I'm near Claremore, 25 miles north of Tulsa. Previous owner/member already removed the hub, by taking a angle grinder length wise, it will be easy to weld it up. Where is a good place to buy the gaskets? Thanks, a Bunch

not sure what you mean by the hitch [pen] pin?

Wow Will Rodgers and Mason Hotel are fond memories. TEW ( http://tewarehouse.com/) may have the motor to case if Jake Kuhn, member here doesn't have any more. Send him a PM. Toro dealers are prob only ones where you can find case gasket. I use http://www.smallenginepartswarehouse.com/p/toro-parts?aribrand=TO

Glad your hubs off, hate they are damaged. I haven't read rest of posts yet, but I think for hitch pin they are meaning bar that holds on a hitch that goes through rear end of case if a D has one :wh:

tractorhogg

Wow Will Rodgers and Mason Hotel are fond memories. TEW ( http://tewarehouse.com/) may have the motor to case if Jake Kuhn, member here doesn't have any more. Send him a PM. Toro dealers are prob only ones where you can find case gasket. I use http://www.smallenginepartswarehouse.com/p/toro-parts?aribrand=TO

Glad your hubs off, hate they are damaged. I haven't read rest of posts yet, but I think for hitch pin they are meaning bar that holds on a hitch that goes through rear end of case if a D has one :wh:

They remodeled the Will Rogers Hotel a couple years ago and made it senior living apartments, the Mason Hotel was torn down in 1986, I got here in 1982. I actually live a few miles from Will's birthplace out near Oologah Lake, I'm a Oologahan, rhymes with Hooligan, people from Claremore are Claremorons, lol

post-6272-0-71232400-1426283927.jpg

post-6272-0-56473800-1426284051_thumb.jp

Edited by tractorhogg

19richie66

I have a single hub,keyway,and spacer I managed to get off my 160 I parted. If you wanted it instead of welding up yours i would sell it. The other one was froze on there and the previous owner had already tried to beat the hub off and cracked it. This one just slid off due to the seal leaking and keeping it lubricated. $45 shipped?

• Like 1

tractorhogg

I have a single hub,keyway,and spacer I managed to get off my 160 I parted. If you wanted it instead of welding up yours i would sell it. The other one was froze on there and the previous owner had already tried to beat the hub off and cracked it. This one just slid off due to the seal leaking and keeping it lubricated. $45 shipped?

sent PM, thanks

groundhog47

They remodeled the Will Rogers Hotel a couple years ago and made it senior living apartments, the Mason Hotel was torn down in 1986, I got here in 1982. I actually live a few miles from Will's birthplace out near Oologah Lake, I'm a Oologahan, rhymes with Hooligan, people from Claremore are Claremorons, lol

Wonder what they did with all those guns from Mason Hotel, that place was famous for that Claremorons, funny, Ole Will good have a great day with that and prob did. Not many know of Oologah as his birthplace as Claremore tried to steal him.

Have a great day every day! And good luck on your D project, very respectable tractor from my limited knowledge :handgestures-thumbup:

tractorhogg

Wonder what they did with all those guns from Mason Hotel, that place was famous for that Claremorons, funny, Ole Will good have a great day with that and prob did. Not many know of Oologah as his birthplace as Claremore tried to steal him.

Have a great day every day! And good luck on your D project, very respectable tractor from my limited knowledge :handgestures-thumbup:

They built a museum on Route 66 to house all the guns, it is THE LARGEST private gun collection IN THE WORLD. They still get gun donations to this day. They have about every outlaw and lawman's gun you can imagine, here's the web site to the Jim Davis Gun Museum. I really don't think most Americans know much about Will Rogers, but I rate him up there with Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln. He was a giant.

http://www.thegunmuseum.com/

Edited by tractorhogg
  • Like 1

groundhog47

They built a museum on Route 66 to house all the guns, it is THE LARGEST private gun collection IN THE WORLD. They still get gun donations to this day. They have about every outlaw and lawman's gun you can imagine, here's the web site to the Jim Davis Gun Museum. I really don't think most Americans know much about Will Rogers, but I rate him up there with Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln. He was a giant.

http://www.thegunmuseum.com/

Totally agree and thanks for info on the guns. Hope any who are following will forgive my stepping all over the Topic of Post. Cannot resist  a chat with fellow Okie! :greetings-clappingorange:

• Like 1