Sign in to follow this  
bell

Recoil start compatibility

bell

I have a GREAT running K91 that I am planning on using on my Lawn Ranger... I figure that it will not be doing much work, just cruising around at the tractor shows...

The problem I have is that the recoil start is gone... and I'm not too keen on keeping track of a piece of rope. lol

Are there any other recoil starters that will fit with little modification?

Thanks in advance, Jon

CasualObserver

Jon, depends on the starter pulley. The K-91 could have had a Schnacke or a Fairbanks-Morse, and they both used different pulleys. You could also just take the pulley off, and replace it and the starter with whatever will fit in the bolt holes.

bell

Well, I know that...... :banghead::USA:

I was wondering if anybody had any luck with using one from a Tejunkseh or a Briggs....

TT

My 400 currently has a Tecumseh recoil. You'll just have to experiment with cup height, and you might have to drill the center mounting hole out a little.

bell

AWESOME!!! Thanks Terry.... I thought I remembered reading something about you using a Tecumseh recoil on a Kohler...

I guess those Tecumsehs are good for something after all.... :banghead: :USA:

sorekiwi

Jon, the K91 recoil on my RJ has a pressed steel recoil on it that I'm fairly sure is the same as the one on the HH60 Tecumseh I have here.

RJ:

IMG_1935.jpg

HH 60:

IMG_1936.jpg

However, when I got the tractor, I found the cup on the flywheel wasnt compatible with it, and was spaced out with 3 thick washers under it (which meant the nut to hold it all on the flywheel would only go on about 4 threads).

This kinda concerned me, as I dont really like the thought of a flywheel coming off, especially when its between my legs... :banghead:

I got a deeper cup from an unknown Tecumseh that ended up being too deep (even with the washers removed) so I "cut and shut" it to fit. The cup was as hard as hell, I tried to cut a section out of it in the lathe but it didnt want to know, I ended up having to cut it with a death wheel, and true the 2 pieces up with a grinder before welding.

BTW the hole in the middle of the cup is bigger on the Tec too, dont remember the dimension, but its enough you have to wiggle it around a bit as you tighten the nut to centre it up.

Hope this helps....

bell

Mike, that helps GREATLY! :USA: :banghead:

sorekiwi

Mike, that helps GREATLY! :USA::banghead:

You're lucky it's a bit warmer tonight, Jon. I wouldnt have dragged myself away from the woodstove to take pictures for you last night! :omg:

Docwheelhorse

HI--I have an old school recoil and cup that came off of a Kohler 7, I think it is still sitting in my garage on top of my 1971 Nova SS.... (Awaiting $$$, Time and a full restoration) Will this re-coil fit and work? If so make me an offer I can't refuse.....

If you put a Tecumseh re-coil on you will have the strongest re-coil assembly available---Tecumseh designed them to be pulled ALOT :banghead: You will NEVER wear it out starting a Kohler :USA:

Tony

TT

There you go, Jon.....

Tony has the recoil you need for your 633! :banana:

sorekiwi

If you put a Tecumseh re-coil on you will have the strongest re-coil assembly available---Tecumseh designed them to be pulled ALOT :banghead: You will NEVER wear it out starting a Kohler :USA:

:omg::thumbs: :lol:

BPjunk

HEY HEY HEY Now,

What's all this Tecumseh recoil starter talk going on here! <_<

The rope broke on mine 'cause it was OLD! :banghead:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

OK there is a lot of new readers in this forum and it is Trick or Treat Night Soooooo here's my broken Tecumseh recoil rope story Titled "The Skinny Santa Claus Stuck in the Middle of the Street" . (this is the condensed version)

A few years back while doing the annual Christmas parade here is Richmond I had set up a elaborate float with those blow lawn ornaments as balloons. Using the Mighty Lawn Ranger Six Speed and a four wheeled cart to pull two 8 foot ballons, one a Frosty the Snowman and the other a Santa Claus. How this float was set up is the Lawn Ranger had a 11 feet long conecting link to the four wheeled cart, the connecting link had a 6 feet long rebarb rod welded to it with a platform on top for the Snowman to sit on and the cart had a rod and platform for Santa. Now things did not go too well that day for me as there was many problems, the Santa balloon did not want to stand up right and acted like he had too much egg nog so we ended up using string to tie Santa to rod on the cart. A small generator was used to work the air fans that blow up the balloons and this sat on the cart with hidden electrical wires. I had on a Santa Claus suit and my wife sat on the back of the cart. We lined up at a school drive way to wait to be called out into the street for the parade, at this point I turn around to give things a quick look over and I see both ballooons deflating. OK whats wrong now, I checked all the electrical wiring and it is alright, the generators running ...... but wiat the generator does not sound too good. It truns out when my wife got on the cart she kicked the choke lever on the generator causing it to flutter. This was a quick fix and we were called out into the main hiway for the parade of which I drove down the middle of the street. Now this parade is long and the gas tank in the Lawn Ranger is small so while waiting for other parade units to get lined up in the street I cut the engine off to save gas. After about five minutes the parade starts to take off so standing on the double yellow lines I pulled on the recoil of the Tecumseh and ..... SNAP ... the rope breaks! At this point I am standing in the middle of the road in a Santa suit with the recoil handle in my hand with no visable rope on the recoil and a HUGE parade behind me. Well the skinny Santa did not speak any choice words out load BUT he was sure thinkin' of them. I knew not to hold the parade up so I pushed this 20 fet long parade float off the road so the other units could get by. Thinking to my self I have no tools with me and that the truck with any tools is 3/4's of a mile away. Alright now I fix trucks broke down on the side of the road for a living ... I get this running too. Checking to see what I did have with me I found my truck keys, my camera and a pair of wire cutters used for cutting the string. OK now I got my small fingers behind the recoil and turned it enough to see a small peice of the recoil string though the hole in the recoil and then pulled the string out with my truck key. With the wire cutter I grabbed the string and pulled out the rope, then tied the rope around the handle. Giving the handle a good pull the Tecusmeh roared to life. Now while doing all this I had my back to the world ....... I did not know that there was around one hundred peolpe watching and feeling sorry for me because the float broke down. Well let me tell ya'll .... when that Tecusmeh came back to life the crowd cheered and clapped! With my quick wit I turned around while holding the wire cutters up in the air and exclaimed "Santa is a mechanic" ..... the crowd cheered again. A this point in time we were a mile behind where we were supposed to be in the parade, I told my wife to get back on the cart and HOLD ON! The throttle was pulled all the way out on the Mighty Lawn Ranger Six Speed and off we went. Passing other parade units like they were standing still. One of the units in the parade was the Virginia Mustang Car Club and these folks were looking in their rear veiw mirror at a skinny Santa on a little red tractor pullin' two big balloons and coming fast! Well it seems the folks in the Mustangs all wanted to race the skinny Santa but I did not have time to play so the throttle was kept wide open. Well there was some other close calls during the parade but to make this story short when we got to the anouncers stand and we were stopped as the anouncer said "Folks in the history of this parade we have never had balloons, give these people a hand". Again the crowd cheered and clapped. Even when we got home that night things still did not go well, as I was backing the trailer into the drive way I did not get the trailer straight and had to pull foward ..... welll what I did not see was that the trailer cought the edge of my fence and when the truck pulled forward I ripped fifteen feet of fence down. Now I had enough for the day and went in to lay down on the couch. Later that night my wife wakes me up to tell me it is raining and the tractor was still on the trailer AAARRRGGGHHHH .... put boots back on and go out in the rain to put every thing away. Now the good part ... later that week we got a trophy for being the BEST OF THE PARADE!

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1225507330.jpg

sorekiwi

Well let me tell ya'll .... when that Tecusmeh came back to life the crowd cheered and clapped!

Thats pretty much what I do when my Tecumseh starts too! :banghead:

Great story Bill

bell

HI--I have an old school recoil and cup that came off of a Kohler 7, I think it is still sitting in my garage on top of my 1971 Nova SS.... (Awaiting $$$, Time and a full restoration) Will this re-coil fit and work? If so make me an offer I can't refuse.....

If you put a Tecumseh re-coil on you will have the strongest re-coil assembly available---Tecumseh designed them to be pulled ALOT :banghead: You will NEVER wear it out starting a Kohler :omg:

Tony

Message sent! :USA:

bell

Bill, that's a GREAT story... :banghead:

Mike, me too.... LOL.... Well, I used to.... None of my Tecumsehs run anymore... :USA:

bowtieguy

Hey I got a Christmas card from someone in VA that had this SAME PICTURE on it....will have to put a copy of the "Skinny Santa Story" with it and .....and....and ...naw, probably wouldn't sell on epay....if it did would probably have to send royalty check to Sharon....copyright infringement or sumpin' like that

Nice story BP...maybe santa will bring you a set of tools for small jobs this year? :banghead: