HorseHead1089

k161 running way lean

HorseHead1089

i have clean the sediment bowl, blown the fuel line, and checked for flow, and blasted the carb and made sure it was tight, but the motor only runs with the choke nearly all the way down. i glanced quick with a google search and found it could be a head gasket? well that wouldent be much trouble because its a flathead. Any thing else i can check for? also motor feels a slight lack of compression when using the rope start, jut doesnt have that extra oomf at the top of the compression stroke.

WH nut

The first thing I would do is pull the carb a part again and run some small wire through all the passages. Pull the main jet out and make sure all the holes are clean. I doubt its a head gasket if its running

buckrancher

check the high speed needle it's hollow and has some small holes in the side I think two near the bottom and two near the top be sure you can blow air thru one end and out the other

Brian

tunahead72

I think WH nut and Brian are right on, take care of the carb before you mess with anything else.

When you say you "blasted the carb and made sure it was tight", did you just spray some carb cleaner into the carb and tighten the mounting bolts, or did you remove the whole thing and soak it?  If removing and cleaning the main / high speed needle doesn't solve your problem, a thorough cleaning and a carb kit probably will.  You might also have bad gaskets that are allowing unfiltered and unmetered air into the combustion chamber, I would replace those at the same time.

And a couple of obvious things...  Are you using fresh fuel?  And is your choke control working properly (check it manually with the engine off, make sure the choke is opening and closing when it should)?

WH nut

Any progress?

HorseHead1089

Yes very much progress. purred like a kitten and internals sound good. Now I hope to be in the proscess of an 8 speed swap. And adding a starter generator. I made another topic in that regard if you have any info to post there it would helpful.

tunahead72

So, what did you do to make it run better?

HorseHead1089

The bottom part where the fuel is picked up in the bowl, the cast part of the carburetor had two holes in it, and i didn't even see them because they were severely gummed up.also a carb rebuild helped, as well as cleaning out the sediment bowl assembly.

• Like 1