psalms83:18

D-160 Onan carb and valve seat

Ok so I just JB welded the starter, and she turns over good and she sparks up but of coarse no fuel to the carb. So I took the carb and manifold off for cleaning. post-14261-0-55317500-1425683308_thumb.jpost-14261-0-20255100-1425683572_thumb.j

That went well, but it was extremely dirty. When I was turning over the engine I noticed blowback and no pressure on the left cylinder. It was reaffirmed looking at the carb manifold one side had exhaust blackness and the other of coarse was good.

post-14261-0-17956900-1425683761_thumb.j

It was suspicious that the third screw for the carb air filter bowl was missing, and I have seen and heard stories of them falling in. I hope it's something so simple as its holding the intake valve open.

WH nut

DID you do a compression test?

It was bad enough blowback through the carb and then with my finger on the spark plug hole ...plugging in a gauge was pointless. Even though I don't have one. Never have needed one. And the burn on the carb manifold speaks loudly enough that I am positive I'm going to need to dig into that side of the engine.

Edited by psalms83:18

WH nut

A compression test is never pointless. Without you are only guessing

No literally a compression test is pointless at this moment - when there is absolutely with a doubt "no pressure". The amount of pressure it would tell me(if it even turned the dial on the gauge) would amount to me still having to dig into that side of the engine.

A compression test with my finger or a compression test with a gauge. There is many ways to skin a cat (is actually in reference originally to catfish!!) and whether some people like digital new age read outs and technical data, or an old school old timer with his finger and gut feeling(usually gas[flatulence]) was good enough and still got the the same conclusions. Technical pressure readings are important. It will tell me whether pressure is low or non existent. Or even when a piston ring needs replacing, but usually she starts burning oil at the same point and runs lousy anyway.

WH nut

I disagree, but guess away. I prefer to diag with test equipment.

Thanks...and sorry I been sick and irritable. I know everyone does things differently

Kinda weird but the intake valve was sck open....just stuck open!? No blockage. Just a lot of buildup. So I bumped the valve a couple times with my hand (kinda firm). And it went back in! Cleaned it all up lubed everything, gutted and cleaned the fuel filter, broke then replaced plug wires, and she fired up for the first time In 2+ years!!

But as I expected also JB weld gave way toward the end of cleaning out the lines, and it's time to get a new starter. But I'm glad I made sure the tractor was runnable before I spent $$

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

That alone was well worth the $5 of JB weld and the time spent!