Pullstart

skidding logs

Pullstart

does anyone have experience skidding logs with their GT?  I found a woodlot that I have access to cut dead and down wood but it's too tight for the owner's big tractor.  I was thinking the weighed down 502 might be able to lend a hand when the weather breaks

jeremi3210

I've done it with my c121 and it works good. Your 502 will probably need a weight in the front but it should work good.

Pullstart

thanks for the input, did you drag the logs or use any type of arch or lift?

I have ags on the rear and tri ribs up front, all four are loaded and my front "bumper" is filled with concrete too.  it made a huge difference pulling stuff around in the garden last fall.  :)   it's also got an 8 horse Kohler under the hood for a little more go power.

alswagg

I logged alot with my D last summer.  Many were oaks 12" to 18" dia.  I precut the trunks to around 12' long.  This made it easier to pull than the whole tree.    I have weighted ags in the rear and used a 3 point hitch.  A short chain helps I found out the log pull great about 4' behind the tractor.  Good luck  Al

bmsgaffer

I would put dual ags on the back if you can afford the extra width.  They give you a little more floatation and traction in the soft stuff.

pacer

This is practically a permanent fixture on my D ... that smallish tractor constantly amazes me at what it will do :eek:

As Al says, you'll probably have to experiment a bit with sizes/length that you can pull, but I bet your gonna be surprised at what you can accomplish!

post-9681-0-86800100-1425480981_thumb.jp

shallowwatersailor

Anyone have experience with the skidplate (can't remember the trade name) being sold as an alternative to a log arch. Unless you have a 3-point, the log you're dragging is in the dirt.It still retails for about half of a log arch.

Pullstart

thanks guys!  I was thinking about a set of those skidding tongs from northern tool and maybe even cutting some lead in each log to act like a ski.  the land I've got access to is rolling hard ground, a tall timberland with no sight of swamp.  I just want to make sure that whatever I come up with works in the woods as I don't want to run back and forth from home for trial and error sessions if I can help it.  I sure am excited for the weather to let me get Put Put out of the shed!

C-101plowerpower

maybe something like this can be made for a WH

nevermind, just found out what a log arch is :hide:

Edited by C-101plowerpower

Pullstart

I was thinking about something like that... a pivot style arch that could lift the leading end of the log up over a shortened trailer axle or the like.  if push comes to shove and all.  I like seeing that it's been done in a way.  thanks for the video!

shallowwatersailor

Here is the skidding plate that I was referring to. The butt end of the log digs in to the ground so that is why a logging arch is preferred. The one that Northern sells has bad reviews. This may be a decent compromise.

http://www.timbertufftools.com/product3-logging-tongs-log-skidding-plate.php

Edited by shallowwatersailor

Pullstart

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=272.0 here's a cool one about halfway down the page.  I like the idea of no winches and minimal moving parts.  pull on the tool, the tool lifts the load, the load pulls easy.  I have seen where draft horses and oxen have pulled wooden ski type skidders.  not like used tires and hubs are hard to come by, but I wonder how some 3" wide 3/8" thick bar stock skis would pull through the woods??  :eusa-think:

mels

Find yourself an old stone boat.  Used to skid a lot of wood out using an OC-3 Oliver crawler with a stone boat.  Did it when there was snow on the ground so as not to load up the bark with dirt.

jeremi3210

I just wrapped a chain around them and pull.

Forest Road

It's all going to depend on the size and species. Pine no problem. Oak, ash, etc are really going to give you a hard time. Your best bet with a 500-600lb GT is a skidding arch.

can whlvr

as just mentioned when you drag them they get full of dirt,this makes your chain saw go dull much faster,i would use a decent sized trailer and cut the logs to fit and trailer them,this leaves a lot of the mess in the bush,and the trailer can be used for other things not just a logging tool

• Like 1

oe espo

I made one similar to the timber tuff and Montana jacks. I really like it albeit I usually use my atv, which is only a 2WD but it won't budge the same log without the skidded  digs in too much.  Also no tires to go flat.

Austin860

Thinking about building a logging arch using my hydro lift and the axel bracket as the pivot point. This would be on my electro 12. Anyone every built one before. ?