Sparky

Blue flame from the exhaust?

Sparky

Was snow-blowing tonight (first time this season doing it at night) and I was seeing a small blue flame coming from the exhaust of my 8hp Briggs horizontal shaft on my walk-behind.  Its a late 70's motor, didn't do it all the time, mosty when under a load.

Any thoughts?

Mike..........

Theroundhousernr

Generally, blue flames is unburnt fuel igniting in the hot exhaust and causing the flame you see. It is not uncommon. Once, I was plowing late evening with my Farmall C and it was shooting a steady blue flame. It was working to its max and was running just fine. Had it so hot that day , it dieseled for about a minute.  I would not worry yourself to much. If its not showing signs of running rich or back firing. I would not think twice about it. You could try messing with your carb adjustments but would not worry about it. These smaller gas engines are not real emissions friendly.

Coadster32

Agreed. It's when you see parks flying out your exhaust, you need to worry...(BTDT) :hide:

SALTYWRIGHT

just let it idle for a full minute before turning it off.

953 nut

:woohoo:   The KOOL KAR guys add flame throwers to their cars, you already have one. As Theroundhorsernr said, just a little unburned fuel; I would rather have it a little rich than too lean.  :twocents-twocents: 

• Like 2

squonk

My 1267 shoots fire flys out of the pepper pot muffler when plowing in the dark!

Edited by squonk

AMC RULES

That's gotta be the muffler. 

Navig8r

My old Gilson snowblower does the same thing... Also an 8 HP B&S..... Mine was bought new in May 1974, and it still runs strong today!

boovuc

Sounds like an optional cigar lighter you didn't know was installed! 

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

I would say it's also the small short mufflers causing this issue. Also, with it being old and worn. The larger mufflers tend to suppress/hide the blue flame.

baerpath

Night pulls we get a green flame if burning alky, blue/yellow/red for 104+ octane and blue for straight pump gas.  It's there in the daylight just can't see it as well Not a problem just means it's working

Sparky

My old Gilson snowblower does the same thing... Also an 8 HP B&S..... Mine was bought new in May 1974, and it still runs strong today!

Interesting! This is my Gilson snowblower that's throwing the flame, its a 1978.

Mike..........

• Like 1

Navig8r

Interesting! This is my Gilson snowblower that's throwing the flame, its a 1978.

Mike..........

Mine's a Montgomery Ward machine made by Gilson that my grandfather bought new in May, 1974.. i have all the original documentation, including the sales slip... great machine... They were well made, and well designed!  Are you familiar with ?  Lots of good info there!

• Like 1

Sparky

Are you familiar with  ?  Lots of good info there!

Did you mean this site.. http://www.gilsonsnowblowers.com/ ...if so then yep, I've read it all.

This is my flame throwing beast.

post-2-0-01491000-1425424396_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-23279700-1425424409_thumb.jpg

Mike...........

• Like 1

squonk

Nice Briggsy!

Wheel Horse Collector

I had a wheel horse with a Briggs and Stratton