motor12

another 5003 trans question

motor12

The manual calls for (18) 5/16 x 5/8 of an inch long with a lock washer for attaching the side plates to the case. my trans has 5/16 x1/2 inch without the lock washer. What  will give me the best results, Thanks

Edited by motor12

Theroundhousernr

I usually always follow the manuals. However , I have not cracked open my 5003 yet so cant say either way. I would say as long as they are not to long that they cause problems inside. You would want the most thread in the hole possible because I hear you can over tighten these easily. Since these threads are bottomless, use thread sealant and a lock washer to keep them snug. :handgestures-thumbupright:

cleat

I find wheel horse uses a lot of 5/8" long bolts all over but I can usually only find 1/2" or 3/4" bolts.

What I have been doing is using 3/4 bolts and adding a flat washer under the lock washer to male up the 1/8" difference.

Cleat

Jake Kuhn

I use 5/16 x 1/2" and they work fine. In the 30 or so trannys I have owned, I have never seen one with washers.

• Like 1

motor12

I use 5/16 x 1/2" and they work fine. In the 30 or so trannys I have owned, I have never seen one with washers.

That's what I wanted to hear, going with the 1/2 and no washers. thanks

Racinbob

It's depending on which parts list you look at. I have one list that shows 1/2" and no washers, another with 5/8" and washers. Either is fine. You need to be careful on the length. It's possible one of them could get into a gear inside. Mine originally had 1/2" and no washers. I replaced them with 5/8" and lock washers but I only did that because I had the 5/8" stainless bolts. Otherwise I would have used the 1/2" I took out.

Edited by Racinbob