Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

Do you remember this one?

kj4kicks

Hi Guys, Do you remember this 1975 C-160 that came with the FEL I bought last summer?

P1014962.JPG

I used the sheetmetal off of it for the C-520 project.

Then I picked up a load of parts last week, and found there was enough to bring it back to life. Cleared a spot in the garage, and brought it inside. Hung the metal on it to be sure everything fit.

P1125243.JPG

Hosed it down with degreaser and hot water. As I thought, there's a gray block K341 under there.

P1125257.JPG

Fixed up the butchered wiring, and detailed the dash panel.

P1125256.JPG

Sanded the frame and dash tower, and here we go:

P1145261.JPG

P1145266.JPG

P1145267.JPG

I decided to give the Valspar Restoration Series rattle can paint a try. Doesn't look too bad. I'll be working on the running boards and battery tray tonight. The hood, rear fender, and belt cover, are at the sandblasting shop, and should be done next week.

More pics at:

http://wh.classickitchensandmore.com/75%20C160/

Thanks for the bandwidth....

Eldon.

TT

You Da Man, Eldon!

Another one saved from "death" (and it will be a lot more fun than the $400 Commando at the dealer too. :P:D

Keep me posted on that paint -- I'd like to try it someday, but not "blind".

Nick

I was going to say wish I could use a spray gun like that, then I saw it was rattle cans. Nice looking paint job. I have a near of full case of Toro red cans from an auction but might have to try the valspar sometime.

Nick in Ohio

Rollerman

Great pics Eldon, thanks for shareing.

So what did you use for a brush on the dash panel?

You deffinatley hae a talent for the paint work.

I've been considering that paint to for the Pond Levers when the time comes.

kj4kicks

Thanks for the comps, guys!

Stephen, for the dash lettering, I used "Scratch Fix" touch up paint from Pep Boys. It has a brush (that I used for the outside edge), and a pen tip to do the lettering. It's like a spring loaded ball point pen. When you push down slightly, it releases some paint. Then just trace the letters.

To prep it, I just used Dawn soap and a stiff brush to clean it up. That removed what was left of the original paint, and really cleaned the plastic.

Eldon.

PS. The other 3 Horses were hiding under blankets, and were not harmed during this production.

TT

Testors used to have model paint pens like that too. (and probably still do?)

I used regular gloss white enamel and a model brush to do my newer dash that I used on the Charger T. It got a good scrubbing with Purple Power first, and about a half-hour later it was done. :D

9607004.jpg

kj4kicks

That dash looks nice, and the red paint looks really good, too !!

CasualObserver

Terry, Eldon, both look great! I never thought of using model paint for cleaning them up! Good tip, Thanks.

Sparky

So who carries this Valspar paint? I love the shine it gives(or is it still wet :D ).

Mike........

kj4kicks

Mike, TSC carries Valspar. I took those pics about an hour after it was painted. Most paint will shine then. Time will test it, though. We'll see what it looks like after a few years. (Karl may have to let us know LOL).

Eldon.

Buzz

You've got a good start on such a cold day. One question though, how come the rear tires are mounted backwards? Is it that you just threw them on to move the tractor around?

TT

I had actually thought about taking one of the best plastic dash panels I could dig up and sending it to be chrome plated. Then hit the whole thing with a couple coats of black paint, and wipe the top of the letters and edging back off.........

Wouldn't THAT be cool ? :D (for on my "pulling tractor")

TT

By the way there, Eldon.....

Is that about a 1972 Chevrolet C-10 you have there in the ever-popular #511 Ochre and White two-tone paint scheme? (memories, memories :D )

kj4kicks

Buzz, It was sitting outside, and it was cold the day I brought it in. So the tires just landed that way, and got 2 lug bolts to hold them on. The hydro needs to come out anyway. (The pump is already off it).

The garage is heated with a forced hot air gas furnace, so no problem there.

TT, the plating idea sounds sweet. When doing plastic, they actually call it "vacuum plating". You've got the right idea on how to do it, though!

Eldon.

kj4kicks

You mean this one? From Georgia, 88k original miles, and still wearing the original paint?

Yep, a 1972. It's sold, sorry.....

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1199557188.jpg

TT

I won't take this too far OT, but my best friend had one just like that in high school.

It had a 350 with a big old Q-jet carb, 3 on the tree, duals, and REALLY bad bushings in the "track locator" rod on the rear! (can you say "forklift syndrome"? :P )

The rear end gears left go one day, so we went junk yarding and found one real cheap. We didn't know that the 6 cylinder truck it came out of would have 4.56 gears, but did they ever wake "Old Mustard & Mayo" up! I could bounce people's heads off the back window when the back barrels opened in second gear! :D

kj4kicks

That's TOOOOOO funny!

This one is 350-4 w/a TH350 trans, and all of the bushings are still there...

Eldon.

Stigian

Very nice work Eldon :D

The rattle can paint job looks good, have you given it a coat of clear?

The white detail on the dash makes me want to go and redo the white bit i have done on my Raider 10 :P

kj4kicks

I didn't clear coat it. If I wait 48 hours, I can re-coat it, but I doubt that I will. It laid on there pretty smooth, and I don't really call this one "restored". That would have meant completely disassembling the tower, removing the engine, etc.

This will end up being somebody's work tractor, it is for sale.

Eldon.

nylyon

That's the parts tractor? :P Looking great! :D

nylyon

You know how I want a C-160 too! And a 75 is close enough to the 74 too!

T-Mo

Eldon,

Very nice job - I never would have guess rattle can job until you told us. And I also like that Chevy truck. Nice. :D

Terry in Pa,

Nice looking dash. Those letters and stuff really jump out at you. Very nice also. :P

TT

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. :P

You know, most non-tractor people who see our stuff could never begin to imagine the time and patience that is required to do this kind of work. (not to mention the bloody knuckles and sweat!)

I couldn't guess how many times I have asked people to get their kids off of my tractors here at the local show! I came back to the tractor a few years ago to find most of an ice cream cone upside-down on the filler plate in front of the shifters on my 1969 Raider 10! If I could have found the parent, I would have done that on their head. :(

I remember asking this one nerdy guy if he let other men on his wife! When he answered "no", I proceeded to tell him to "get his bratty kid off of my tractor". (I really don't think he got it either :D )

kj4kicks

Here's a couple pics as of yesterday.

I just got a call from the sandblaster that the rest of the parts are ready. Going to pick them up this afternoon.

Might be able to take it for a spin next week....

Eldon.

P1175277.JPG

P1175279.JPG