Sign in to follow this  
oak9665

what kind of tractor can suit my needs

oak9665

Im new to wheel horse tractors im wondering what model i should look for i need something to do light weight gardening tasks like plowing soil cultivating and tilling. is there a specific model with a CAT 0 3 pt hitch ,shaft PTO , diff lock and independent brakes?

hodge

:banghead: There are a number of models from WH that would fit most of your requirements, but you won't find any with a diff lock or independent brakes. If you need that, you may need to go to a small tractor...

Most any horizontal shaft, heavy frame WH tractors will handle light gardening/etc.

Sparky

I think the independant brakes were an option on the "D" series but not a differential lock. My "D" has the 3 point but not the fancy brakes.

The D-250 might have all those features.

Mike..........

hodge

I think you are right, Sparky. I should have looked before speaking :imstupid: - by the photos on the site, it looks like the D's and the 250 came (or could come with) dual brakes. Maybe the 250 also had a diff lock?

Guest fireman

I had a 1974 D200 and found what was called a turning brake kit for it (Brand new in the box :banghead: ). Had rotors that bolted inboard of the hub on the axle along with independent calipers. The pedals had a latch that would let you use them together or seperate. The only problem is I sold it before realizing what I had :USA: ! Did I mention that it had front and rear PTO, ARK550 loader and the elusive Brantley backhoe!!!

I know, I know :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid: :imstupid:

linen beige

:banghead: The D series had as options three points, front and rear ptos, and turning brakes. The brakes can be used to limit the slipping of one wheel so the other can gain traction, maybe not as good as a diff lock, but it works. Finding a D is not too hard. Finding a D with all those options might be a little difficult.

KyBlue

:banghead: The D series had as options three points, front and rear ptos, and turning brakes. The brakes can be used to limit the slipping of one wheel so the other can gain traction, maybe not as good as a diff lock, but it works. Finding a D is not too hard. Finding a D with all those options might be a little difficult.

Affording a D with all those options would be difficult too im afraid. Course there is always those once in a lifetime deals out there... I never seem to find those thou

Nick

Might help to know how large the garden is and if other work will be done with the tractor. If its just going to be light weight garden work in something less than a field then most any Wheel Horse garden tractor with a plow and disc plus the belt driven tiller can handle the job. :banghead:

Just mentioned this site in another thread. He uses a Wheel Horse repowered with a small 5hp engine to do a lot of his garden work. tractor gardening link-

Rod(NASNUT)

Hi there and :banghead:

oak9665

Do these tractors have spider gears inside the transaxle? i might go back to my demolitionderby days and weld the spiders up the tractor would be used to plow up about an acre this spring of very hard ground to plant potatoes.

sorekiwi

They're not exactly spider gears like in a car, but pinions which work the same way.

A fully locked rear end will tear up your grass pretty good if you try to mow with it! And good luck trying to do tight turns around trees...

hodge

I think that you will find with the weight of a Wheelhorse, plus the ability to shift your weight to the spinning tire, that she will pull and work hard without welding up the rear. I work mine in various ways, and can find the traction I need. You can certainly do whatever you want since it is yours (or will be). It just seems a shame to weld up a perfectly good unidrive.

jerrell

:banghead: i agree with the others, if you add wheel weights and ag tires the WH tractor will make you proud, and will outlast the others.. as you will see here on redsquare we are very proud of our horses..but they always deliver when we need them.. they will pull a plow , cultivator, and have a belt drive tiller that really works well, jerry

Duff

Do these tractors have spider gears inside the transaxle? i might go back to my demolitionderby days and weld the spiders up the tractor would be used to plow up about an acre this spring of very hard ground to plant potatoes.

If our member Mainedad (Micah) comes on line and sees this post, he may have some good ideas for you aside from welding up your gears. He does a ton of farming with his Wheel Horse and has pretty much mastered the various tricks of the trade! :banghead:

Micah, are you out there????

Duff :USA:

wh500special

The only WH tractor that had all the features you listed was the D250 from the late 70's (76, 78, & 79). being that only 2000 of them were imported they are kind of hard to come by and tend to be very pricey. And the early ones had some transaxle problems that make them not well suited to your tasks. There is enough about them that is unique that they are - in my mind - more valuable as a collector's item than as a working tractor. And NOTHING else WH made is compatible with these things so only D250 implements will work with a D250. And the PTO speed and direction is unique too so aftermarket tillers might be out too.

I think what you're asking the garden tractor to do is more than "light duty", but I think your best bang for the buck would come from a C-series type tractor (e.g. C-160, C-141, C-165, 414-8, 520-H, etc). They are affordable, plentiful, have a wide range of OEM and aftermarket attachments available, and - most of all - are very capable. It seems most here would prefer the gear drive (8-speed) tractors for applications like yours, but the hydros work well too.

While no three point was available, they can be equipped with either a "slot hitch" or a "clevis hitch" (WH jargon for a "sleeve" hitch) and can plow, disk, and culitivate with the best GT's on the market. The belt-driven 36" tiller works acceptably too if you're soil isn't too hard and is, again, affordable and - more importantly -readily available.

To stick with the WH brand and move up to a machine with a three point leaves you with few options. Only the GT-14, D-series, and C-195 had the gound clearance necessary to accomodate a cat-0 hitch. I've never used the GT-14 or C-195 in gardening applications, but have generally been disappointed with the relative abilities of the D-series (D160/D180/D200) considering their size. They are big, but seem to lack the finesse, traction and ease of use of the C-series design. And the implements for them are harder to find. And the 50" tiller can have a gearbox weakness in some instances.

you might also be served well by looking at small utility tractors (Ford 8N, Ferguson TO-20/30, etc.) but perhaps you need somethig smaller for delicate tasks around the house. in that case if you want to stick to the WH brand I think your best move would be to find a C160 and have at it.

Good luck,

Steve

oak9665

Thanks guys i appreciate all the info i think a wheelhorse will hold me over until i can afford an Economy Power king they seem to have all the stuff im lookin for but there few and far between. when i get something ill be back and post more again thanks.

canam1991

the d 250 is like a cadillac it has all the options!!!!!!! :banghead:

WheelHorse_of_course

A C series would be good to have even once you get a bigger machine. If this is the definite plan I would suggest getting a smaller C such as the C-120. This will give you something for small job that won't be to gas hungry!

:banghead:

Nick

Whatever you buy for heavy work I would also say buy a horse for some of the work. :banghead:

If looking outside of Wheel Horse for a larger tractor then I would look for a Compact diesel(hard to find cheap) or an antique tractor. Steve mentioned Ford or Ferguson antique tractors and they are very nice tractors with 3pt hitches. Being an AC person I would also recommend a B or C Allis Chalmers. These did not come with a 3pt but they can be built or purchased. The B is a wide front and most C's are narrow front. So if you want the tightest turning radius go with the C. They are fairly small with weight being around 2,000 to 2,500 pounds. The newer model CA is a bit harder to find but has spin out wheels, 4 speed transmission with hand clutch and improved hydraulics with traction boost when used with factory plows. Depending on condition Ive seen B's or C's sell for under $1,000 but the CA would be higher. Not much more money than a nice garden tractor.

One last option is to be nice to a local farmer if you have any. :omg: One acre couldnt take a couple minutes for them to swing through and work up your garden while on the way to there fields. After that any Wheel Horse could smooth things out and handle the planting/harvesting chores. :USA: