Sign in to follow this  
84 400

New Here

84 400

Hello everyone,

I picked up a 1961-1962 wheel horse 552 about 2 yeas ago. I got it from the original owner and it was not running. He had kept it inside but the owner had replaced the motor with a 1981 H70 and added a hydrollic deck lift set up. I picked it up for $120.00 with the original owners manuals not knowing anything about these just liking the older look of it. After I got it going I started to restore it. Well I got the rear end painted and decided to stop. I was using rattle cans and did not take it down to bare metal. So i decided to wait and tear it all down and repaint with the compressor instead blasting and stripping it all. and put new decals on. But that would have to wait until I finish my 1956 willys wagon

here are the closest to original pictures i have of it. this was after repainting the rear fenders:

2006camping071.jpg

2006camping074.jpg

Then I started driving it around more and more. I removed the mower deck and used it to haul fire wood and what not. I often for fun would drive through the woods or way down the power lines trails crawling through deep mud over hudge rocks and embankments just checking out the woods.

But my little tractor started to act up. Something is wrong with the clutch linkage and the foot pedal sometimes needs to be pulled toward the footplate in order to engage the belt. I suspect it is the tension spring is worn out. well sometimes the pedal will collapse and get stuck on the peg. When this happens the tractor try's to KILL the rider and itself. It did it to my father when he was hauling a load of dirt up a steep hill behind our house and tossed him off the back and rolled itself over. IT did it to me when I was hauling fire wood and I crashed into a stump. When I was letting my freind drive it it did it to him and he crashed into the deck causing the perfect hood to become smashed in. And it did it to me again out on the power lines and caused the tractor to stand on end almost crushing me. New belts help but it is still not right.

I take the deck off in the winter and drive through the snow carving trails in the woods and climbing hills. This summer I went through the deck and mowed with it all summer. It also moves dead trucks around our property.

factory options:

A high back seat from wheel horse (saved the tractor from crushing me)

Fuild filled rear tires

Plans:

I want to put on the factory deck lift

I want to get a dozer/snow plow

tear it all down and repaint and install new decals.

Other tractors:

I have a 1976 Case 210 that has a kohler k241 that we have owned since 1980 (rebuilt the motor back in high school but have not touched it since)

various craftsman that i have picked up for free repaired and sold to fund other projects (they are just not built as good)

Sorry for my misspellings and poor grammar.

Thanks

Ian T

this is how it sits now:

willysmotor026.jpg

willysmotor029.jpg

willysmotor031.jpg

BairleaFarm

Those pics didnt show up for me the first time I read this thread. :banghead: Anywho welcome again

Sparky

:banghead:

Glad to have ya here!!

Mike..........

Raider12

:banghead: :USA::omg: Glad to have ya aboard! Nice look'n tractor too!

Denver

NE Ohio

84 400

Thanks everyone.

I actually have a few questions:

1. Which draw bar hitch fits? right now it has a lifting sleave hitch which makes hooking up the dump cart a real PITA. I have to use a long bolt bolt the top of the dumpcart to the bottom of the slot hitch.

2. I have searched Ebay and Cregslist but are there any other good places to find old round hood parts?

3. For those running aggie tires where did you buy them? I am hoping to find a set that I can run on speprate rims. I trided running the rims and tires from my Case but they are too big and won't fit without removing the fenders.

bell

:banghead:

I'd like to see more pics of the hydraulic lift.... Interesting.

As far as parts... you could start by posting a wanted ad in the classified section... You may find what you need on ebay, but you'll have to be patient... (and usually have a FAT wallet)

There is a tire store on ebay that is selling 6-12 AG tires for $108 a PAIR!!!

pond195520032003

:USA: Ian nice to have another Ian in the group :banghead:

HorseFixer

Ian T :banghead: Nice looking tractor!

Duke

linen beige

Will those fit on my stock wheels??? That price seems too good to pass up!

thanks for the link

Ian T

:banghead: Ian!

Absolutley these tires will fit your stock wheels. That is the size tire she came off the line with, and it looks like that's what's on it now, size wise.

As far as parts, just keeping your eyes open on Ebay, Craigslist, and, Uh, HERE should get ya set up. For a draw bar for carts, etc. most folks just use a piece of flat steel stock a few inches long with holes in both ends. One end slides into the slot hitch, the impliment hooks to the other end. You can also mount a hitch ball to one of these for pulling boat trailers and the like.

84 400

thanks again. Will I run into problems because my rims are filled with calcium? I would actually rather find another set for a reasonable amount of money.

What size are the rear rims and will once off a wheel horse 10 be the same? Thanks

I posted in the wanted section and am hoping to find someone with the parts I need.

Thanks again to everyone for the welcome and help thus far.

As for the hydrollic lift:

It uses a manual hand pum to presurize the lifting cylinder. I am not really surew why he added it as it would be faster to lift the deck by hand.

Also the deck rubs the front tires but i cannot adjust it further back because the belts are too tight as it is. What was the stock belt size for this mower deck. It uses two belts if that helps and is the stock orginal deck for the tractor.

Thanks again !

T-Mo

This place has the 6-12 ag tires for just over $35 each, or just over $71 a pair - free shipping. I don't know anything about this company, nor the tires, but they're Sigma tires. I thought about buying a set for my 753.

http://www.lawngardentires.com/index.asp

Duff

Hi, Ian, and :USA: !

Glad to have you among us!

As you can already see, this place is a treasure trove of useful information and really decent folks who love these red tractors!

Best,

Duff :banghead:

Rod(NASNUT)

:USA: Ian Nice looking Horse you have there :banghead:

Stigian

From one Ian to another :banghead: