psalms83:18

Got a D-160 and it needs starter work

Two owners ago the guy shmucked this D-160 up!! Foot press button ignition screwed onto a wooden block on the side and the key start still works!! But the starter made a horrible grind noise. I look under and the starter is wiggly"". So I see the oil filter and filter mount has been previously removed..... Maybe the starter has been replaced before? Maybe you could tell from the pics? I remove the filter assembly and barely manage to get the starter off with removing the whole flywheel cover peice. Kinda helped to get it out the starter bracket is broke! Maybe someone hit it to get it workin again. I could tell when it was spinning it was slipping across the teeth of the flywheel but it didn't seem to wear any down too bad, or break any.

post-14261-0-03056900-1425057160_thumb.jpost-14261-0-51087900-1425057221_thumb.j

Is it possible that this starter was a newer one put on and they didn't put on the right one??

Think it's possible to buy just the bracket? Or do any of you have a good used one?

JackC

Wow.  Never saw a break like that before.  I have never seen just the bracket for sale anywhere. There are good new and used starters on eBay.  When I replaced my starter I removed the exhaust, removed the front frame, disconnected the drive coupling, and moved the engine forward a little in order to access and replace the starter and to secure the mounting bolts properly.

pfrederi

D160s depending on year had either a Kohler or Onan engine...Which is yours?

boomers_influence

psalms

by looking at the drive end of your starter,

i can tell it was made in crapland.

there SHOULD be a boot on the end to

seal the shaft.

it does not have the correct hardware to even use the boot.

i do offer the onan end plate as well as the end kit.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com     651 437 2826

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

pfrederi : its an onan

Boomers: can u post some pics of what u got

and what do you mean you have a "end plate"' (too what?)

Edited by psalms83:18

boomers_influence

psalms

i DID give you my e/mail FOR A REASON.

please reply, and i will send you a page from the parts manual.

thank you boomer

Just cause you so "SERIOUS " with it I will email you when possible. though I prefer the info on here for everyone's benefit. AND!! I don't like giving out my personal info.

Wow 50$ on eBay.... And bummer Sears used to stock just that end cap bracket!! But not anymore

Well I got the starter temporarily repaired! I used some JB weld 😯 first time I have ever used it. I cleaned then baked the pieces then cleaned them again!! Took extra care to mate the peices and cleaned up the edges. Installed it today and it works! Kinda surprised actually, it was a desperate move. Hah lol and I surely wasn't ballsy enough to say I was gonna try it before it actually worked! Otherwise if it failed it would never of been known! But it works good so farpost-14261-0-44716300-1425682122_thumb.jpost-14261-0-87608000-1425682263_thumb.jpost-14261-0-53271300-1425682480_thumb.jpost-14261-0-71226200-1425682512_thumb.j

bmsgaffer

I would be very interested to see how long that lasts! Impressive commercial for JB Weld!

• Like 1

boomers_influence

how much does JB weld cost?

how much time for clean and bake?

do  you have the correct starter to pan bolts?

also, you are still missing the drive end kit.

thank you. boomer

5$ Walmart

5min 500deg

And it's what was on it was working before it broke, it's working now! I'm very thankful for that! And thanks boomer for being there with the parts if I went that route!