Sign in to follow this  
Steve in Mo

Engine RPM control

Steve in Mo

I have a 1978 C101 with a K241AS engine. Unit was free to me, lucky me. So far I have put only $85 into getting it to run. The Kohler runs well but has very little throtle control. If I have the lever all the way down the engine runs well but a little slow could idle a little slower. If I raise the throtle even just a little after a few seconds she begins to over rev. The throtle response is NOT immediate it does take some seconds before she runs off. I am in now way a corb person but with some help I think I should be able to fix this.

Thanks for any help.

bowtieguy

Steve in MO...welcome...and what part of MO?....If you are close to Adrain, MO, Ron (mr. Wheel Horse)he can sure help ya....sounds like you need to adjust some setting on the gov...

Next year some guys in MO are going to "meet and greet' ...stay tuned

My horses are on the farm near Deepwater, Mo 64070 in case you are close.

htopjimmy26

Maybe you need to do a governor adjustment, lemme get my book.......OK loosen bolt clamping the governor arm on the governor shaft then, grab the shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers and turn it counterclockwise as far as it will go, then hold the shaft there as you move the governor arm away from the carb as far as it will go, lastly tighten the nut that clamps the arm back up [while holding the shaft with one hand and the governor arm with the other hand :hide: ] and you should be good to go :hide: . Also I think that if you play with the throttle before you tear into this you will find that if you push the throttle lever all the way up it will hold the governor arm for you, allowing the use of less than three hands :omg: . Good luck :D

WheelHorse_of_course

First of all, you need to be sure that the throttle cable is connected to the governor not directly to the carb.

Post a picture, or find a manual and check that first.

linen beige

First of all, you need to be sure that the throttle cable is connected to the governor not directly to the carb.

:hide:

htopjimmy26

Ahh, took me a minute to figger out what you three were talking about :D , Guess I never thought that someone might do that to it. That would make it revv to the moon :hide: .

WheelHorse_of_course

My 854 was like that when I got it.

I was able to keep it form over revving by ear, but the problem was that without a governor it would bog down due to any load.

We all tend to think of governors as limiting the top speed, but the "regulation" function is also important!