music100

Worked for awhile

music100

OK friends, got to try out my 414-8 and new to me(old) thrower. Worked great until lost trans. Managed to just creep up the hill in 1st low. No doubt something broke and the spare isn't ready yet. Wait til next year.Probably need some help later but it's just too cold now to work on any of them. May have to get out the fergie and blade, really gives ya a workout. John

Forest Road

Lost the trans and crept back? Probably just a worn out belt. They'll work in low gears and do nothing in higher gears. Try replacing the trans belt before tearing the whole machine apart.

Hodge71

Lost the trans and crept back? Probably just a worn out belt. They'll work in low gears and do nothing in higher gears. Try replacing the trans belt before tearing the whole machine apart.

:text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell

Or  you lost a  key in the tranny drive pulley or an axle.

Sparky

I agree, either the belt is shot or the clutch pedal return spring is shot/busted.

Mike..........

Wheel-N-It

Ditto, Dont wait till next year to work on it.

music100

Thanks guys, to let you know it was a roll or spring pin in the cross shaft. It had been replaced at some time with a cotter key. Course that's all I had to put back in it but will get the real thing when I can get to town. Reason I thought trans is because it is very loose going into gears, really sloppy.

About those pins are they just roll pins or something special? Thanks again, got snow gone on driveway! John

Tim

do you have that little piston on the pedal for the return so you can't pop the clutch?

try pulling the clutch pedal back with your heal. as the spring wears out over time it can't over come the piston

i went through this on a '94 314-8

if thats the problem you can replace the spring or remove the piston

i guess i type too slow

Ed Kennell

Standard roll pins are used.   The spring pins  would work , but  are a little more difficult to install and remove.

I also add two set screws in the levers when I have them off the cross shafts.  Helps to lock the shaft and lever together, and it makes aligning the holes easier.  I use a tapered awl to align the holes, then snug one of the set screws to hold the alignment while I tap the roll pin in. Then tighten the set screws.