baerpath

Walk behind snow blowers

baerpath

Our old Arien's died.  15yrs old and gearbox broke.   Been looking at the cub's and Arien's, Local Honda dealer want's me to try a Honda blower,  Anyone have recommendations   

Navig8r

Just FYI... Not sure if this is still the case, but Ariens used to make 2 lines, the better being the 'Pro' line, which was only at dealers, not Big Box stores, etc.... The Pro series had a true differential, and a cast auger gear-case if I remember right.

Ken B

I've never owned a Honda snow blower but after watchin tons of video's of them on youtube and checking them out in person they look to be extremely well made. I can't get myself to swallow what they want for them though! No wonder why the Honda's are all that is left on the dealer's floors. 

I'm surprised your Arien's gear box gave out, especially if it has a cast iron gear box. They are known to be the toughest ones out there. At this stage of the game you probably won't have much of a choice as to what brand to buy if you are going new as most units are sold out.. I have an ST 10/28 Ariens I use here at work. It is at least ten yrs. old and for the past ten yrs. I am the only one that has used it and I have meticulously maintained it. It is built like a tank. Lots of side walks and emergency exit paths to do here along with maintaining the loading docks. It has been 100% reliable. It throws the snow very far but I wanted more so the other day I mounted rubber paddles on the impeller blades and fuggetabout it now! It tosses the snow over the roof now! If the 10 hp Techy ever blows I'll put a Honda engine on it... 

baerpath

I bought it used at auction 15yrs ago for $25. Not sure just how old it really was. But I sold it to a local guy for parts for $50 So it paid for itself .  I picked up a sears piece of junk for now. Made me realize just how good that old Arien's was.  

Nice thing was the Arien's would pull itself up the stairs in reverse to blow the deck off, Sears just sits there. Dealer is dropping off a new Cub cadet  3X 28" to try.

Ken B

I haven't tried one but I have heard from some guys that the third stage is useless on the Cub.. Let us know what you find on your test drive..

Edited by Ken B

TT

Saw some pretty impressive (professional / commercial version) Simplicitys at the local dealer a few weeks ago.

Going to push to get a new one for the club to replace the old Troy-Bilt homeowner model they currently use. :banghead:

The big boss bought a tracked Husqvarna a few weeks ago, used it twice, and broke it each time. (traction control lever first, then something to do with the auger / shear pins)
Hondas are nice, but they are definitely proud of them. :eusa-whistle:

• Like 1