Live4outdoors

What Would you do...patina or not patina?

Live4outdoors

As some may know when I joined this forum I was the new owner of my first round hood, I'm the 2nd owner of this untouched original 653 that has sat for 20 years in a barn after its owner passed and the kids decided to sell to me. I was raised with a father that brings old tractors back to life by repainting and making them look better then factory show room! All this talk lately about patina oil finishing(what I always called rat rod finish) is starting to peak my interest. Today I wheeled her in the heated garage and steel wooled just the hood and am on the fence, don't know if she's in need of what my original plans of frame off resto or if she is a great candidate for this patina show finish? The only thing that makes me second guess is when I pull the original seat pan cover back and see that beautiful original finish underneath....

Wandering what you all would do and why? And would you replace the original decals when keeping the patina look or let the worn down ones on her?

post-14030-0-80287300-1423410766_thumb.j

post-14030-0-23256700-1423410786_thumb.j

Edited by Live4outdoors
  • Like 4

stevebo

They are only patina once after lets say...... 50 years ?? Do nothing but clean it up and running as you like. :banana-tux:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Why would you even consider removing the gorgeous patina on that tractor? 

Hands down...I vote keep it.   :thumbs:

• Like 3

neil

I agree with Steve , there are plenty of nice shiny ones around , yours in original condition are becoming harder to find . The only thing I would possibley do is see if you can find a seat that is in similar condition to the rest of the tractor and then put the shiny seat up on a shelf somewhere . I have a couple of tractors that are in show condition but I would rather they were original .

Remember yours is that only one in that condition, so it's unique .

• Like 1

slammer302

Keep it original I replaced the stickers on mine because they were missing but I think it they look great17188627655dd9504b144af0321ae60f.jpg

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I have to agree. Leave it as is. Nice looking tractor!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Original is original, only once.

Glenn

JackC

The unit in your pictures should look spectacular after a careful detailing job and it will still be original.  I would make sure everything is in good working order and keep the finish original but clean off all oil, grease and grime.  I might refinish the wheels if they do not clean up and are badly rusted. If the rubber is still good you can use a tire dressing or something like Ruglyde to clean them up and delay dry rot.  I use WD-40 to clean and brighten up the sheet metal.   I use very fine steel wool if I need to remove rust.  I use McGuire's paint cleaner if i need to remove scratches or dull paint.  I sometimes use wax .  An original seat and seat cover is also good.  Badly worn decals can be replaced.  

55rj35jr

Super tractor,, pleeeeease leave it as it is, the nice patina tractors are getting harder to find than the one's that are no question need to be restored.. IMO I would not replace the original decals, just clean it up and get it running nice..

Edited by 55rj35jr
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Super tractor,, pleeeeease leave it as it is, the nice patina tractors are getting harder to find than the one's that are no question need to be restored.. IMO I would not replace the original decals, just clean it up and get it running nice..

:text-+1:  DITTO !

speedyleedy

I say keep it the way it is !

Live4outdoors

Well then, I guess that makes my decision a little easier! I've scrubbed parts of her down today and steel wooled and marvel mystery oiled the metal up and it looks good, just have to get used to it, it seems greasy haha, the kids like it probably cause they can walk away dirty! Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it!

jackhammer

How about a couple more pics of her done??

grnlark

Don't touch it! And please don't lather it down with salad dressing like other people do either (aka oil). Just wax it with a good Carnuba and keep it clean and dry.

Live4outdoors

How about a couple more pics of her done??

let me get it back together and I will surely share, wasn't thrilled until I put my all alum color gas tank back on, I love that two tone look especially with the rusty patina!

Live4outdoors

Don't touch it! And please don't lather it down with salad dressing like other people do either (aka oil). Just wax it with a good Carnuba and keep it clean and dry.

Where were you earlier? LOL. I tried motor oil didn't like the residu so graduated to marvel mystery oil and happy with that cause it is cleaner, but seems to be "sticky" I think when it wears off I will try the wax idea...I'm afraid wax on top of the oil will not work too good.

Edited by Live4outdoors

Zeek

As some may know when I joined this forum I was the new owner of my first round hood, I'm the 2nd owner of this untouched original 653 that has sat for 20 years in a barn after its owner passed and the kids decided to sell to me. I was raised with a father that brings old tractors back to life by repainting and making them look better then factory show room! All this talk lately about patina oil finishing(what I always called rat rod finish) is starting to peak my interest. Today I wheeled her in the heated garage and steel wooled just the hood and am on the fence, don't know if she's in need of what my original plans of frame off resto or if she is a great candidate for this patina show finish? The only thing that makes me second guess is when I pull the original seat pan cover back and see that beautiful original finish underneath....

Wandering what you all would do and why? And would you replace the original decals when keeping the patina look or let the worn down ones on her?

That's in great shape.  I vote patina!

DSC06543.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Use your favorite method to clean...

then seal it with Johnson paste wax. 

Live4outdoors

Alright all, here's what I promised updated pics, the only thing left is the wheels, the old man dumped oil on them to preserve them....will be a horrible mess to clean but should make for beautifully preserved original wheels!

post-14030-0-54754000-1423708620_thumb.j

post-14030-0-44685300-1423708631_thumb.j

post-14030-0-35675800-1423708644_thumb.j

• Like 3

slammer302

Looks awesome

Are you going to give the wheels a coat of paint?

Live4outdoors

I'm hoping when I get that oil slop off I won't have to paint anything, cause the paint will be nice underneath! Will know after this weekend I guess when I get them stripped down and see what I got. Thanks

Edited by Live4outdoors

slammer302

Sounds like a good plan that's what I did with my 502 I'm still trying to decide if I should paint or not

Live4outdoors

I think painting will take away from the rest of it, but if they are badly rusted you would almost have to or find better original rims and swap.

JackC

If they do not clean up, I would look for a pair of better originals rather than repaint.  

They come up on eBay from time to time.  

I bought a pair of very nice originals with very good rubber for my 1076.

No muss, no fuss, no figuring out what paint to use, just replace.

Coadster32

I think painting will take away from the rest of it, but if they are badly rusted you would almost have to or find better original rims and swap.

I agree on the painting. If you don't like the rims, you could find some used hub caps to match. Tractor looks great the way it is. Glad to see you left it, and treated it to an oil bath.