mels

RJ58, and so it begins...

mels

Well we've had this old girl - a '58 or '59 RJ58 - around for longer than I can remember, so long in fact that I can't remember anything at all about how she came to us.  I do remember putting around on it and a skeletonized, now long-gone Speedex that I think came along at the same time as the RJ.  

So, as I'd mentioned in my intro thread, Shovelfest is coming up in July and Wifey has made it pretty clear - ok unmistakably clear that she wants to putt around the fest on her little RJ.

I'd hoped to try and get the K91 running today, but with a few more inches of snow and some crummy freezing rain looming in the forecast, getting the tractor out from where I had her stowed and off to a friends garage where we could chip-away at this project became the priority.  

Armed with two old plastic kids' toboggans and a couple beers under our belts, my good friend Helio and I set off to rescue RJ from the shadow of the old B she'd sided up to these past few years.

Unfortunately being just the two of us we missed out on some good photo opportunities but I did manage to snap a couple...

First off, sorry again about the rotated pics, don't know why they upload here that way and wish I knew how to correct them.  If anyone can tell me what to do to fix that please do.

Pic 1 shows where we sledded RJ down from the shed up off to the upper left corner of the shot:

post-14606-0-59250900-1423360164_thumb.j

Pic 2 shows the only other red vehicle we own, that wanted to help tug RJ down through the snow, but she was still wearing Summer sneakers so we gave her the day off...

post-14606-0-27977900-1423360229_thumb.j

Pic 3 shows RJ loaded up in Helios' truck.  Don't know about anyone else's experience here, but those tonneau covers just really don't like Winter temps...

post-14606-0-64555800-1423360258_thumb.j

Pic 4 shows the RJ tucked-in under Helios' beautiful '55 Chevy from where over the next couple weeks we'll be chipping-away with disassembling her as time permits.  

post-14606-0-49100200-1423360290_thumb.j

So there you have it.  Nothing exciting I'm sure for most all of y'all here but it's a huge leap forward for us seeing as how while we've talked about fixing her up many times over these recent past couple years this is the first time we've done anything to actually get started.

Looking forward to getting to know this old girl better, seeing the smile on Wifeys' face the first time she sees her back together let alone putt around on her, and learning from y'all along the way.

bmsgaffer

Would have loved to see that sled ride!

ON the tonneau cover: I have a Truxedo Lo Pro QT (low profile, cant really see it from the side) and it has no problems in any temperature. The fabric stays very flexible even when covered in snow. It does try to melt my hand off on a mid summer day though... I would HIGHLY recommend it, the whole thing has a lifetime guarantee.

• Like 2

neil

Nice little MG you have there , great little British sports car .nice to see it still has the original Rostyle wheel rims.

• Like 1

mels

Thanks for the good testimony on the tonneau, Brandon, will pass it along to Helio.

Neil, that MG is a '75, first year for the big dopey rubber bumpers and increased ride height which did nothing for the car.  She's sure fun to bang around in Spring and Autumn when the weather ain't right for putting on an old motorcycle.   :handgestures-thumbupright:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

stevebo

Mels-

Are you going to just get it going or a repaint? I really think it will clean up nice without a repaint. I hate to see originals repainted but that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

fireman

Hey Mels,

If you have any questions or get stuck on something on the RJ, feel free to PM me. I have restored and worked on numerous RJs. I live in Sherman and am generally around given my work schedule. Wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty working on another RJ.

Jeff

• Like 1

mels

Hey Steve I agree with you.  In my opinion paint on old tractors and stuff is like make-up on an ugly woman, it hides a multitude of sins.  That B John Deere of ours is all original, and as rusty as it is (Mother Natures' finest patina) you clearly see how straight the metal is, no bondo, no fiberglass, nothing.  The reality with this RJ is that I think is was repainted before it came to us, and I think it may have been painted a couple times.  There is a spot of paint on the seat that flaked off yesterday and it's a dark green beneath the white.  If she was clearly wearing her original paint I'd keep it as is for sure.

Jeff thanks for the offer, look forward to hearing from me soon as I get busy on this.  Helio leaves at the end of the month for a few weeks so I want to have it all apart and out for paint before he splits.  Phil, a friend of mine, is a long-time small engine mechanic working full time for a local shop and he wants to get into the K91 for me which helps a lot.

Not sure, but if possible I think I'll remove the lift mechanism and leave it off for now.  Fab up a clean hitch setup so Wifey can tow a little cart.  Is there anything out there that'll bolt right up or with minimal modification?

VinsRJ

If it will clean up... I agree with Steve.

I've been known to work on these from time to time too.. if a hand is needed, LOL!

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 1

mels

Thanks Vin, sounds like an end-of-Winter Connecticut GTG is calling...   :)  

mels

As I was complaining about in my intro thread, this weather has had me working around the clock and getting over to Helios' to get started on this RJ just hasn't happened yet.  Wifey says to bring it Home and work on it inside (like, IN the house) lol...  May have to call her bluff and do just that.  At least I could wrench a little between breaths...

• Like 1

decksetter

I bet it would fit through the front door...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Don't wait...

run to get it.    :auto-layrubber:

(in the house)

• Like 1

mels

post-14606-0-63440900-1424345460_thumb.j

Lol, yup pretty sure she'll fit through the front door!

Edited by mels
  • Like 1

mels

Hey Decksetter, thought you might enjoy seeing these pics I took yesterday of a project I parked 15 years or more ago.  Depending on how the Summer goes, I might try to at least roll her over.  Brand new tires, shot from sitting in the dirt and the right two are blasted now that they've sat flat for all those years.  Made my heart sink.  Will try to maybe this weekend get back to where I have it stored and at least see if the tubes'll still hold air.

post-14606-0-01071100-1424346730_thumb.jpost-14606-0-13247200-1424346749_thumb.jpost-14606-0-06760900-1424346775_thumb.jpost-14606-0-13348300-1424346808_thumb.jpost-14606-0-70884400-1424346848_thumb.jpost-14606-0-68717100-1424346865_thumb.j

• Like 2

decksetter

Ohhhh that poor tractor. Is that a VAC? My brother has one, it's a '48, not in much better shape than that one. Has a hand throttle and a foot throttle. Cool little big tractors.

• Like 1

mels

Yessir, she's a '47 VAC. Despite her appearance, she ran like a top when I put her away. Backed in her spot under her own power before I started dismembering her for some cosmetic work lol. Being a two-cylinder guy, her 4 banger just never sounded "right" to me... 😉

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

A friend of mine has a bit newer Case VAC with a gas/throttle pedal. I believe it is original to the tractor. Always fun to drive around at the shows. My Farmall's have been sitting in storage for years.... Last I tried to crank start one , gas poured out the carb bowl and the gas sediment bowl. :bitch:  Cant beat the sound of a 2 cylinder! But my Farmall C sounds pretty healthy. Has some motor mods done by me and pulls a very large two bottom plow that some Farmall H's struggle to pull. Miss the sound of that one.

• Like 1

mels

Been a while, had moved this RJ to my friend Helios' garage to get started on it and never got around to it...  

We brought her Home yesterday, she sits outside waiting to be brought in tomorrow or the next day.  Need to get her set up inside so I can chip away at it while I'm supposed to be off my feet...  (Going in for knee surgery on the 17th)

So, will get a pic or two up once she's inside and up in the air.  Happy Easter everyone!

motor12

I like RJ 58 projects, especially after all the parts are cleaned and primed. post lotsa photos.

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:   Going to get some work done,  :text-imsorry:  â€‹to hear about your knee, will say prayers for healing.

A few years back a friend had surgery and while he was recuperating he used an old school desk ( the type that has an arm and work area attached to the back ) as a work station. All he needed was someone to carry the parts over near him and he could hobble over, sit down and work away!

Best wishes for skilled surgeons and a speedy recovery.  

• Like 1

mels

Will-do, 'Motor.  Thank-you 'Nut.

Off to the supply house tomorrow to grab a condensate pan that the RJ will fit in.  The dog lives under the table I'll be using as a bench, so anything I can do to keep stuff from raining down on him will be good and not having to reach down to pick stuff up off the floor'll be an added bonus, lol

mels

Ran out of time yesterday, couldn't hit the supply house before they closed.  Have to do that today, brought the RJ in yesterday so now I'm committed...  lol

Here's a couple pics from yesterday:

post-14606-0-26131000-1428405273_thumb.j  post-14606-0-44008400-1428405302_thumb.j

Edited by mels
  • Like 2

motor12

The RJ's even look good indoors, let the games begin.....

• Like 1

Pullstart

They make the news when people bring their livestock in the house...  Why not steel horses?  Fits right in if you ask me

• Like 1

mels

...Fits right in if you ask me

Yup!  Right through the front door with a couple inches to spare   :)

Pigs out, 'Horse in...

Edited by mels