can whlvr

oh what a day

can whlvr

well we ended up with a lot more snow than expected,10 to 12 inches,had to go to work because my boss wouldn't give us the day off,thats another story,so I get home about 6,try to start one of the 414,s with blower,she wont fire,its been reak=lly cold up here,around -15 for days,so I get out the trusty spray bottle with gas,remove the filter and start pumping the sprayer and it soaks my gloves and wont spray,so I find another bottle(I just want to get the snow blown,dont have time for this crap)get her started and blow for 1 and 1/2 hours and then the chain breaks,drag her back and try to start the c160 with blower,no way battery is low,so I go to the 312 with blade,halve to boost it and it takes many many trys,finally get her running push a bunch of snow and then the chain for the hydro lift breaks,man not my day,was gonna get out my other 414 with plow but its really cold out and ive had enough for today,its strange because ive had all running lately and they are all good starters usually,run no ethonal fuel,so I don't get it,all 3 hard to start today :banghead:  :banghead:

• Like 2

ericj

-15 can make it hard for anything to start. might have to take the batteries into the warm.when it's that cold

eric j 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Yes sir. Thats to cold. Anything would give you trouble.

Glenn

boovuc

-15...........................I think I would have waited to plow. Like April maybe!  :roll:

Sometimes, those days have a way of sneaking up on you. Other times, they slap you in the face as soon as the sun comes up! For you, it was Monday, it dumped a foot of snow, have to go to work then the snow turned to concrete by the time you got home on the backside of the storm plus the wind, etc etc.

Yup! Tomorrow is another day!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

-15F ....I wouldn't be able to get myself started.    I keep the 520 and the 120 in the heated garage during the winter. 

BTW,  it's a balmy +15F here this morning.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Don:   I  hope you get warmer days soon and hope you had plenty of vents in the clothes you were wearing to release all that extra heat you had to be creating trying to remove the snow the other day!    My tractor troubles usually come in threes too!

Pollack Pete

I hear ya.I had -16 is AM.My 416H is in an unheated barn.I used the tractor yesterday and put it away last night.Today it looked like a block of snow and ice.Choke cable was frozen.Took the heat gun and thawed that so I could pull it out.Cranked on it for a while til the battery was too low.Luckily the Ford 3000 diesel started.I dragged the 416H out of the barn and pushed it into my shop and fired up the furnace.I'll probably have to leave the horse in there all day to thaw out.Like yours.....this  Wheel Horse has ALWAYS started.I guess it doesn't like -16.Matter of fact,neither do I.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hey Don...have you been getting those temps all winter??  That is brutal for sure...and hard on any equipment...much less old red stuff.  We have been lucky with the cold so far this year...about 3 out this morning, but climbing to about 27 this afternoon.  I think I would be ice fishing if I was up there by you.  I'd have a willow stick waving in the wind with a large minnow on the end looking for that big Northern.  :)  Hang in there...we are into February.  :woohoo:

newt

I'm laughing about this post, I think hockley valley is talking degrees Celsius,  you stateside guys will be talking Fahrenheit. holy crap -15 Fahrenheit, I don't think things still live at that temperature!

anyway us Canadians are snug in our igloos,  I had a slick salesman at my shop trying to sell me some icecubes!

newt (lol)!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I keep forgetting that 32 degrees here is zero degrees there.  LOL    Don...forget what I said about the brutal temps up there.  :orcs-cheers:

NJhorses

Things do live at -15 degrees Fahrenheit  northern NJ had -12 last week. If possible maybe keeping a battery tender would help with starting.

AMC RULES

Heavy wet snow here yesterday...

worked my work plow like a dog, trying to keep up with the storm.

Got in it this morning...was frozen like a rock.

Drove a mile and a half, working the circle, before it finally broke free, and could turn the blade.

post-3498-0-42021200-1352398110_thumb.jp
  • Like 4

Pollack Pete

I'm laughing about this post, I think hockley valley is talking degrees Celsius,  you stateside guys will be talking Fahrenheit. holy crap -15 Fahrenheit, I don't think things still live at that temperature!

anyway us Canadians are snug in our igloos,  I had a slick salesman at my shop trying to sell me some icecubes!

newt (lol)!

OK Newt.Tell the truth.How many icecubes did you buy????

• Like 1

newt

holy minus 12 Fahrenheit, I'd have to put some antifreeze in the sled dog's water dish to keep them from freezing pulling my ass back to the shop.

I think im gonna look for half tracks and skis for the front of the rj so I can just drive it to work!

I didn't buy any I just go down to the dam and cut blocks out of the river!

• Like 1

can whlvr

ya it was -15 celcius,thats about zero f,buts its been cold here all winter,today was about -4 c,but tonight is gonna be -18c,and tomorrow not above -13c

• Like 1

newt

don't hear much from the global warming tree hugger activist today!

stevasaurus

Hah...ask Don what his average temp was last year.  He is probably wearing shorts and no socks this year.  :)