Ironman

Please identify this Wheel Horse

Ironman

Hello All and Happy February! I'm hoping that those of you who know all about the Round hoods could help to identify the new member of my family. I found a serial number tag on the upright frame section which supports the steering column that reads "Serial number 7053". I've taken some pictures also so you all could give me your opinion on what I have here. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

post-14432-0-55255400-1422926275_thumb.j

post-14432-0-38532300-1422926294_thumb.j

post-14432-0-00683100-1422926321_thumb.j

post-14432-0-64169200-1422926344_thumb.j

post-14432-0-85853300-1422926370_thumb.j

post-14432-0-06555300-1422926392_thumb.j

• Like 3

Jake Kuhn

Looks like it was a 1964 lawn ranger at one point, has had a lot of mods done to it, It originally would of came with a 6 horse tecumseh engine, and had smaller front tires on both the front and rear.

Terry M

I would say 604 or 654....not a lawn ranger to my eyes  

wait a minute Jake, you may be right...but the 5 lug rims through me for a minute........ :banghead:

Edited by Terry M

Ironman

So the Briggs is not original...I didn't think so.

Terry M

So the Briggs is not original...I didn't think so.

I believe it would have had a tecumseh model H60

Ironman

To me, the Briggs that's on it looks older than the Wheel Horse...lol

Ironman

Is there a way to look up the serial number?

Terry M

Hard to say..you could be right :)

post-5864-0-51224400-1417222696_thumb.jp
Heres my almost original 64 lawn ranger with a same year Tecumseh H60 engine

I'm not sure, but I don't believe so

• Like 1

JackC

Ironman, That first picture is a calender candidate.  That horse looks like it is ready to go to work.

Ironman

Are those really what size rear wheels are supposed to be on it Terry? What about the seat and steering wheel? I'd like to know how much of mine is original.

Ironman, That first picture is a calender candidate.  That horse looks like it is ready to go to work.

Gotta love the "Rare" running board option! LOL

gwest_ca

Serial numbers were never published but

Serial 7050 is a 1964 34E Lawn Ranger

Serial 7053 is yours

Serial 7096 is a 1964 34E Lawn Ranger

Garry

Ironman

What does the "34E" stand for?

gwest_ca

The 34E is a 1964 Lawn Ranger with electric start. 34R is recoil start

Garry

bds1984

I know this doesn't help identify the tractor, but the engine was made in 1975.

Ironman

I was wondering how old the engine is. Do you know the Horsepower BDS?

gwest_ca

Is the model number 190402? If so

Garry

bds1984

Well I can tell you it is a 19 cubic inch, horizontal shift engine with a plain bearing, non-flange mount pto, rope starter according to Briggs and Stratton's website. 8 HP sounds right. If you want to figure out the age of a B&S engine, the first two digits of the code denote the year, 3&4 are month, 5&6 are the day, and last two are the assembly line/plant. I hope this helps.

woodchuckfarmer

Looks a lot better with the larger tires.

bds1984

Oh Garry, I clicked on your link and it didn't work for me... could be me, bit I just wanted to let you know.

gwest_ca

Works for me. Don't know why. It is an operator manual and parts list for the engine if the spec numbers are a match.

Garry

bds1984

I could be the device I am using... no big deal.

Brandon

Ironman

Thanks Guys...The engine model number is 190402. Was this model of engine ever used in a Wheel Horse?

gwest_ca

Thanks Guys...The engine model number is 190402. Was this model of engine ever used in a Wheel Horse?

Don't see where Wheel Horse ever used this engine.

Toro used type numbers 0180 and 0702 on walk-behind snowthrowers in 1971 and 1972.

Garry

Ironman

Ok Garry thanks, no need to hang on to it then. Someone on craigslist will need it for something.