Brunner

1988 520-H won't start

Brunner

I can get the motor to start on starting fluid and it stays running so I know I'm getting fuel, spark, and air.  But for some reason I can't get it to start on its own.  I checked the choke and it is working fine, and I also changed the fuel filter and put in fresh gas....

I'm kind of at a loss on this one. 

Ed Kennell

Are you saying it runs fine after you get it started on fluid?   Loosen the gas tank cap and try to start it.

WH nut

Does it still have the vacuum pump on it?

Brunner

Yes, it runs fin after I get it started on fluid.

Vacuum pump....I'm going to plead ignorance on that.  Not sure where the vacuum pump is located.  I'm going to download the owners manual and see if I can find it. 

Ed Kennell

The vacuum operated fuel pump is attached to the left side of the engine flywheel shroud.  It has 3 hoses attached.. i.e.  fuel in from tank, fuel out to the carb, and the vacuum operating line that goes thru the shroud.

Brunner

I'll check that out tonight, but I'm pretty sure it is still hooked up.  Thanks for the info though

ericj

pull the line off going from the fuel pump to carb and crank it over you should have another piece of hose and a bottle or something to catch any fuel that should come out of the pump when cranking it over see hwo much fuel come out when cranking it over. if you are getting fuel then you need to clean the carb. if not then the problem is in the fuel system and may nee to start at the tank and clean the screen or just replace the shut off in the tank witch will come with a new screen and then replace the fuel line and fuel filter. check and get back to us and we'll help you get it figured out good luck

eric j

boovuc

HI Brunner,

Did you install a new throttle wire on it recently or have it off and re-installed?

I noticed on mine that if you don't have the governor set correct with the throttle stop after taking the throttle wire off, it is very difficult to start. It runs great once it's started! Anything from flooding/fouling the plugs to not having enough fuel to fire depending on where you set the throttle lever to fire it. Recent post on installing the throttle cable in case you had yours off:

You have to make sure you adjust the cable to the high speed throttle stop on the Onan.  When I adjust,  I release the clamp, move the throttle lever to full throttle and then pull against the governor spring lever ( the one with the 3 or 4 holes) until it hits the high speed throttle stop and then clamp it down.

PS.......it's a bi#@* if you only have two hands!   :) 

• Like 1

chex313

Did you try starting it with the air cleaner out?