Sign in to follow this  
Duff

PTO engagement lever

Duff

Hi, guys,

Went to mow the lawns for hopefully the last time this afternoon and mid-mow the PTO engagement lever started releasing. :USA: I checked the spring, the cotter pin it attaches to, and the lever itself for any excess play. Couldn't find anything wrong. :thumbs:

I tried readjusting the trunnion that controls the tension on the clutch, first one way then the other. A turn looser seemed to help, but it still wouldn't hold. Tighter and it simply wouldn't lock in at all. I ended up using a bungee cord (another great invention along with duct tape and velcro!) to hold the lever engaged while I finished. Crude but effective.....

When I rebuilt the tractor ('89 312-8) last winter I replaced the spring, cotter pin, bushings and trunnion, and none of these is showing any real wear. Any ideas what else I should be looking for? :banghead:

Thanks!

Duff :omg:

BPjunk

Duff,

There has to be some wear some place on the linkage or you need to retry adjusting the trunnion. Have you checked the thickness of the clutch and for play in the bearing?

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

TT

Make sure the pivot bushing is still in place on the triangular plate that bolts to the top bracket on the engine. (the same horizontal plate where the rod from the control lever attaches)

You should also check the snap ring on the outside of the stub shaft on the end of the PTO pulley (where the bail pushes inward) to make sure it didn't slip out of the groove.