Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Wheel Horse 1054 Update

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I got up this morning after the storm blew threw last night and went to see the 1054. I snapped a bunch of pics for history and will have them printed after I fix the old girl. I cut the tree off of the tractor and heard it sigh in relief.... The spark plug had been driven clear THROUGH the hood and was arcing out when I tried to start it yesterday. I lifted the hood off and it fired right off and wanted to go back to work. The pic is of the exhaust stack with the flap open... She is resting in my driveway and will be repaired as soon as I can. I used the 520-8 to lift her out of the ground and started to move it towards my garage, the locked up transaxle didn't help with the wet leaves and I couldn't get enough bite to make it all the way. I switched over to the Kubota 4x4 :lol: and got the job done. Here is the worst of it----

Transaxle destroyed, not only did the axle tube snap off--the differential bolts SHEARED :lol:

Front axle destroyed---snapped in half thru the kingpin and snapped the right hand spindle half off. Suprisingly the spindles aren't bent even a little bit :banghead:

Hood destroyed---oh well now I can order that Cowl Induction Chevelle SS hood I always wanted for the tractor :thumbs: The shroud on the Kohler got bashed too but isn't hitting anything--I'll leave it as a "scar of pride" :omg:

Steering shafts are either bent or the ball and socket joints are popped... Oh well I can patch those and have spares.

Seat backrest is wrecked but it didn't bend the fender that much.

Alll in all this tractor took a hit from Godzilla but stood up to it very well. :D

She will run again.

Tony :horseplay:

2008_1026Image0006.jpg

2008_1026Image0037.jpg

2008_1026Image0044.jpg

2008_1026Image0032.jpg

2008_1026Image0042.jpg

The following pic is of "Betsy" just a week ago.... :USA:

2008_1011Image0001.jpg

sorekiwi

Good to see you're not giving up on her, just letting her rest for a bit.

Will keep my eyes open for parts for you - what are the hardest bits to find - Trans, front axle, hood, what else?

BairleaFarm

See its not as bad as the pics showed it was. Glad its not a complete loss

KyBlue

Glad to see it'll live another day..

Kelly

I have a 953 that was sold but if it don't go soon it will be back up for sale again, it is a parts tractor, but I think it has everything you need exept the trans.

Rollerman

Tony just a thought...I know the case is going to be hard to find since there unique to the large frames.

But I was thinking all the internals minus the axles are interchangeable with the early 1 1/8th 3 speeds...like the 1046,1056 & so on.

That was how it was explained to me by a Wheel Horse mentor.

Personally I've only had 8 speeds & 1" axled 3 speeds apart though.

linen beige

Man! I can't believe it didn't take out the stack or the steering wheel! Phew! Kinda freakish how the spark plug poked through the hood without breaking the insulator on the plug, or cutting the plug wire.

Can't wait to see her pulling again.

bell

GLAD to see she'll be resurrected! :banghead:

Stigian

:banana: The Horse will live :banana:

Good to read the damage isnt that great Tony :banghead:

Mike

Looks like me, after I cut a tree for fire wood, Glad to hear it will be fixed

saguaro

Glad you'll be able to give her a sacond chance. :banghead:

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

Tickster sent me a private message and asked me to post another update on "Betsy" the 1054. Here it is fulfilling his request--Merry Xmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays and all that!!

As of today 12-10-08 the tractor is sitting in my driveway on 4 jack stands, I pulled the transaxle out and it is sitting in the back of my pickup truck. The right hand case half is wrecked, the differential case is wrecked and I don't know what else inside of it is wrecked. :hide: It will be kept for parts. I purchased a transaxle off of Joes outdoor power for $152 and was quoted $34 to ship it. Three days after the auction the shipping went to $87.... Joes Outdoor told me that they got in an argument with Yellow Freight and couldn't get it shipped via them and the next closest shipper wanted the $87. He did offer to let me out of the deal---but I need the transaxle and I'm stuck. :hide: I will need to take the hubs, brake band, pulleys etc... off of the wrecked unit to make the new one operational. I did get the engine running and fogged it out, filled the cylinder with oil and put stabil in the gas. I had a used hood around and stuck it over the engine and put the smashed hood in my garage as a wall hanger. The broken front axle has been taken out and a good used one out of a 953 is sitting and waiting to go in. The complete tractor is wraped in a tarp and will be worked on as time permits. I suspect that it will be in the spring as it is difficult to move the tractor around with no wheels...... If I get a chance I will put in the new front axle and get the transaxle in and roll the tractor into my garage. She will run again.... So far I have spent around $300 on parts..... Arguably the tractor was/is totaled. I don't care..... this tractor will run and work again. The first job it gets will be hauling the Son of a Birch tree in pieces to the wood stove!!! :D

Rollerman

Thanks Tony...glad to hear you have the parts covered.

To bad with JOP & there shiping quote. :hide:

Look forward to seeing pics of it hauling the remains of that tree.

sorekiwi

The first job it gets will be hauling the Son of a Birch tree in pieces to the wood stove!!! :D

:hide:

Glad you are manging to find all the bits you need, Tony.

And even though the trans is costing you more than you wanted, at least you were able to find one.

HorseFixer

Glad to see the 1054 getting some life blown back in her! :D I hate to see any horse go to the BONE YARD! Just peck away at her she will get there! :hide:

fritz

thank go wheel horses are made out of metal mostly. good luck with your 1054 mister.

Teddy da Bear

I wish I had thought about your disabled 1054 when we went to the Castleman auction. He had like 5 or 6 1054's and a coiuple of 953's.