Sign in to follow this  
BPjunk

So ya' still don't think 6hp can do any work

BPjunk

I had to park the boat in the drive way with it's long trailer and the long wheel base pick up truck ....... hummmmmm why not just install the reciver hitch into the slot on the back of the 552 and do it the easy way? :banghead: Shooooot I never had to open the throttle up on the 6hp Tecumseh. :omg: I will say the boat weighs in at under 1,000 pounds but the 552 had to back up onto the gravel drive way and never spun a tire. :USA:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1225060481.jpg

Docwheelhorse

Bill I love the boat!!! I have had many 196X boats. What is that one a '65 or so? I bet it has an Evinrude twin on it!!!

Tony

P.S.---if you had opened the throttle the 6 would have gagged and stalled :banghead:

:USA:

BPjunk

Tony,

Not to get off topic but the boat is a 1962 Custom Craft made in Salem, Virginia and it has the original 40hp Johnson Electramatic Super Sea-Horse. :banghead:

Attached Image

post-3-1225062005.jpg

Sparky

Hmmmm....

A Tecumseh and a boat in the same picture :banghead: . I just know I'm supposed to make some kind of anchor comment in here somewhere :omg: .

Mike...........

PS, cool boat Bill :USA:

KyBlue

well, I dont care what kinda motor ur WH has... its still a WH and its workin hard! Very cool boat btw!

Rollerman

Bill where to you find the time to go boating? :banghead:

That is a cool lookin vintage boat too.

Not to add to this Kohler/Tecumseh competitive comparison...wait I am. :USA:

Here's is a thread I started back in May with me moveing my boat around with a 633.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2780&hl=

Brrly1

Bill, I have one question for you, Between the wheel horses and the better half when do you have time for a boat? You must run on eight day weeks! Burly :banghead::USA:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

bambooheels

the boatis very nice, but ill stick with te real topic at hand,

AWESOME TECUMSEH, go indian power :horseplay:

BPjunk

Hmmmm....

A Tecumseh and a boat in the same picture :banghead: . I just know I'm supposed to make some kind of anchor comment in here somewhere :lol: .

Mike...........

PS, cool boat Bill :thumbs:

Uh Mike,

Honestly ...... you GOT ME on that one!

I never thought about the boat anchor/Tecumseh comment when I wrote the post. :lol:

Steve,

Ya' look like your pulling a much bigger boat with tamden axle trailer too ..... so I guess ya' needed a Kohler ........ BUT the 552 could pull my boat in third gear! :omg:

John,

It's not the 8 day week it's 36 hour days .... plus caffine! :USA:

Buzz

Tony,

Not to get off topic but the boat is a 1962 Custom Craft made in Salem, Virginia and it has the original 40hp Johnson Electramatic Super Sea-Horse. :banghead:

Did you notice the boat is color coordinated with Bill when he's announcing the parade at the show. The canopy is white like his white/blond hair, the deck is red like his shirt, and the hull is white like his pants. Now all he needs is pointy toed tires to match his boots :omg: ............ Only Bill....... :USA:

Brrly1

Bill Would that be the Diet Dew!!! Yahoo Diet Dew!!! Burly :banana: :banana:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Stigian

Oh, It's a boat :USA:

And here was me thinking it was one of those new fangled trailers for moving firewood without fear of flood water or rain getting the logs wet :omg::thumbs:

Just goes to show that whatever size the engine is, a WH is always up to the job :banghead:

wh500special

Bill, since you're such a Tecumseh man you should look for an Eska or Sears outboard motor for that boat. Many of them - at least up to 15 hp - actually had a twin cylinder, water cooled, Tecumseh powerhead under their cowling. Not that 15 hp would be enough for that rig, but would be a nice "kicker" motor for the back. I have a 1978 9.9 hp Sears/Eska/tec and it is actually a decent little motor...but it shears prop pins pretty easy.

Nothing wrong with that Johnson though, other than the fact that 1960's outboards weigh about as much as the planet Saturn...

In fact, before Evinrude reincorporated in the 30's or 40's ( I don't recall exactly) to combine Evinrude, ELTO, and Johnson under the Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) banner Johnson outboards were actually made in - get this - South Bend, IN.

Now, all you need is a Studebaker to pull it with - or a Hummer I suppose - and you have the whole South Bend package thing going...of course by this logic you may need to pick up an Oliver tractor - or outboard - or two.

And, I guess you need a Lawn Boy push mower too since they were made by OMC too...but not in "the Bend".

2009 marks the 100th anniversary of the Evinrude brand by the way. Cute little story about the brand can be seen here Evinrude and you can see all the propaganda on their latest direct injection 2-stroke technology. i have a 2007 40 hp Etec and I can honestly say it lives up to the hype. The Johnson brand is all but a memory since the bankruptcy of OMC a few years back. I think the only model hanging on is a 9.9 4-stroke :banghead: .

have more fun, get more done;

Steve

Duff

The Johnson brand is all but a memory since the bankruptcy of OMC a few years back. I think the only model hanging on is a 9.9 4-stroke :banghead: .

Been around boats all my life, and IMHO, Johnson is to outboards what Wheel Horse is to tractors - tough, rugged, dependable, often overbuilt (thankfully!), and wrench-friendly!

Hated to see 'em go.....

Duff :USA:

BPjunk

Now, all you need is a Studebaker to pull it with - or a Hummer I suppose - and you have the whole South Bend package thing going...of course by this logic you may need to pick up an Oliver tractor - or outboard - or two.

Steve,

Funny you should say that ....... 'cause ifn's I ever find a 3/4 ton Champ Studebaker I'll use to pull all my toys! :banghead: A vendor in Portland had a '63 Lark for sale and pictures of a pick up he was sellin' too ..... but rust ain't sumtin' I want to deal with. :USA:

saguaro

My dad had a 56 transtar passed down from his dad, sister and I learned to drive in it. :banghead:

I had a 49 stud 1/2 ton with harvister tranfer and axles, 360 crysler and 727tran, 33in.BFG,s That was a fun truck :USA:

84 400

Thats cool to see another 552 working away. Mine has a 7hp Tecumseh an H70 and it pulls my dead vehicles up the driveway and down the street. Sometimes I spin the tires and slide side ways or buck a bit but it gets the 4,000 pound willys wagon rolling.

My 552 is only limited to its open differential (wish they made these with a locker)

HorseFixer

And here Bill I thought you were a Kohler Man? :banghead:

Duke