kiotiken

Guess what this is?

kiotiken

Anybody ever use one?201edc92c624ecbf963a7e6dd650f28f.jpgadc3f92aba9e1a21a806e0dfa2491aff.jpg6a9eb9ba12be9f858643badcb537c96d.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:eusa-think:  Charcoal heater ?

kiotiken

Nope, I'll let you guys know on a bit after some more guesses.

Ed Kennell

Smudge pot for orchard frost ?

• Like 1

Racinbob

Looks like a small sawdust burner to me.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

kiotiken

Smudge pot for orchard frost ?

Yup Ed got it. They were also used at construction sites to warm the guys hands. Although in the Florida orange groves they got used the most. I've been using them for thirty years to help heat the barn along with my wood stove.This one is called a Hard Hat. You fill the bottom pot up with diesel or kereosene and light it. Really puts out the heat and seven gallons of fuel will last about 12 hours on low.

Back in the day I use to mix in used motor oil but found it to be too sooty for inside use. I also take it out to the pond when the Grand Kids are ice skating.We have even put hot dogs on the top for snacks. This is my fourth one and still have a couple extra around for parts .

I found this one new in the box on Craigslist for 75 bucks. I made a two trip one way to snag it. They stopped making them I believe in the early 70's because of an osha concern. I guess they had too many backhoes bumping them over and causing a problem.

• Like 1

953 nut

:help:   You need to have a CO2 detector if you use that in an enclosed area.   :twocents-twocents: 

• Like 1

kiotiken

:help:   You need to have a CO2 detector if you use that in an enclosed area.   :twocents-twocents: 

Yes probably should. Although my garage is 36x55 ten foot walls and not insulated very well. Been using one of these since the 70's without a problem (yet). Would not recomend for a smaller air tight garage.

AMC RULES

More interested in that grey and red Horse off to the right.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

kiotiken

Ya I've had the GT1848 since new in 82. Its definitely been a work horse.

Forest Road

7 gallons in 12 hours? Ouch!!! Really makes my 5kW ceiling heater much more attractive.

• Like 1

kiotiken

Ya I was really glad when price of diesel went down. What's nice about it is it can heat a large area fairly quick. My shed not being insulated very well the top hat works for me.

Hammerhead

I have 3 of these and have never used them! Might as well sell them.

• Like 1

kiotiken

Hammerhead are they new or have they been used?

oldlineman

We called them salamanders, and you are correct diesel or kereosene if not lit right they can realy through some fire.We had them years ago in the back of utility trucks when we road in the back with a tarp over the back. They make very good heat but probably not OSHA approved. Had them on many work sights for getting warm. Brings back lots of old memories.

• Like 2