Sign in to follow this  
jake22si

loose hub

jake22si

My rear tire hub is a little loose on my C-100 i noticed. If I were sitting on the tractor it is the one on the right. The other side is fine and I saw that the hub is all the way out to the end of the axle. The bad one is in and the axle sticks out a little. I tried to pull the hub off to check the bearing if there is one and I could not get the hub off. Couldnt get the key way out, got the set screw though. Is there a secret to this? Thanks :banghead:

fordsonmajortom

The hub should be flush with the end of the axle. Just move the hub until it is flush then tighten up the locking bolt not forgetting to loosen the lock nut first , when the lock bolt is tight ,tighten the locknut.

michael

oldandred

Frist make sure there only one set screw and back it almost all the way out.now you say tyhe hub is lose if its lose on the axle the set screw is or was lose but if its the axle thats lose most likely the bearing is bad and you will have to split the case and 9if its bad enough it worn the case out so it want hold a needle bearing and seal most of the time oil comes out were the axle comes out of the case meaning the seal is bad that can be prplaced with out spliting the case.

So make sure the set screw was tight now the difference in the axle on the end of the hub that means the set set screw was lose and let the hub slid out or in most times out they were made to slid in or out a little for bigger tires or smaller tires.

If the hub want come off its because of burrs in the key way and were they worked back and forth you will need a puller or try tapping on the with a hammer not hard just enough to get it to move.

good luck keep us posted

sorekiwi

If the hub is loose on the axle, it should come off! As the others stated, make sure the set screw is clear of the key, and that there is only one.

Dont hit the hub too hard, the cast iron is reasonably brittle and it's pretty easy to break an ear off. Try hitting it down around the axle on the central boss rather than on the outside if you can (I usually use a 5" long piece of 1/2" aluminum round bar as a punch). Failing that I use a puller designed for pulling off steering wheels and harmonic balancers.

Another reason for being wary of hitting on the hub is that you can cause the snap ring on the other (inside) end of the axle to come off. Then you do have to split the case.

Its not uncommon for the key itself to be worn, and you can actually buy these at most hardware stores. Usually the keyway in the hub is worn too, but the new key helps a lot.