ditchdigger25

studded tires

ditchdigger25

Has anyone used studded tires instead of chains? If so did you by the tires with the studs in them or put them in yourself. I just wondered if they work as good or nearly as good as chains. I did see it mentioned in other forums but nobody really talked about the traction they provide. I was looking to put them on a tractor that my sister has I didn't really want to give her one of my chain sets her driveway is almost flat and there is weights on the wheels and I filled the tires.

• Like 1

slammer302

I just got this 502 at last years mid mo meet and greet and it has studded tires on it haven't got to try it in the snow yet but in the garden and on muddy hills its performed great 529f05564322fc8fe8b61c8e3614c6e5.jpg

• Like 2

KC9KAS

I would think with the weight, the studs will work fine. Again, if on blacktop and they spin, there will be some scratches on the pavement.

Are you thinking actual studs or driving screws into the tread? Saw a motorcycle (trail bike) a week ago with really large headed screws screwed into the knobbies of the tires. He was going to be riding in the stripper pits and the trails were somewhat frozen.

AMC RULES

If you do it..

:wwp:

:eusa-think:

ditchdigger25

I was thinking about studded snow tires my local tire shop told me we could find something close in size I don't like the idea of screws into the tires. I will try this week to get something we are getting snow this week.

boovuc

Screws and studs in the tires also means screws and studs left on the driveway and lawn.

We, (humans), use them on our hiking shoes for winter trial walking/hiking but I was never a fan of studded tires back in the day or now.  

shallowwatersailor

I think chains are a better solution for a garden tractor application. They provide more of a bite.

Conversation about studded tires brings back memories! I learned to drive stick with my older brother's 1967 Firebird 400 Convertible equipped with a Muncie 4-speed, Redline tires, hood tach, - and an 8-track player! At the time, he worked evenings at ORD as a guerilla. I was a senior in high school and being a great brother, he allowed me to take it out after school before he needed to leave for work. Living in Chicago in the winter means snow so he had snow tires with studs installed on the rear during winter.

One dry day after he had switched to the studded tires, I had it out after school while visiting the local hangout. It was parked on the arterial street so I needed to move it due to rush hour parking regulations. A couple of friends were with me as I was going to drive them home. I thought to myself, here is a chance to impress with my driving prowess. Parked at the curb, I brought the tach up to about 3000-3500 rpm (good thing it wasn't at the red line) and dropped the hammer. Before I realized what had happened I was fishtailing across three lanes!!! QUICKLY thinking about totally losing it I got off the pedal. Learned my lesson about studded tires after scaring the s*#t out of me.

Funny thing how cars were engineered. There was a plastic plate below the clutch pedal. He could always tell when I was rodding it as I would crack it while punching the clutch. I was never able to speed-shift like him. Later in life, while on the FD, I learned how to double-clutch a non-syncro box and work a split-axle. A nice primer though with that 'Bird.

CasualObserver

There's some other info about tire studs in last years topic..... 

• Like 1