SOB

1987 418-C

SOB

Hello Everyone!  I’m new to the site and was looking to purchase a 1987 418-C from a family friend and wanted to get some thoughts.  I don’t have pictures at the moment but if I do buy it I will be asking more questions and showing it off.  Here are the details…

18HP Kohler Magnum, 779hrs.  Includes the following attachments: mower deck (not sure what size, looks like about a 42â€), snow blower, cab, tire chains, lawn roller, tiller, cultivator and grade rake.

I currently have a newer Husqvarna GTH26V52LS (52†deck) that has about 200hrs on it. I have fitted a 46†Craftsman snowblower to it and I am fine with it as a tractor. I also have a 1981 Horse Tiller that’s in great shape which does most my tilling. If I buy the Wheel Horse I was thinking of selling off the attachments that I don’t need to recoup some of the purchase cost. I may just keep the Wheel Horse as a tiller and sell everything else, I may keep the Wheel Horse as a tiller/snowblower and sell everything else as well as the Craftsman snow blower attachment for the Husq. I doubt I will get the cutting quality out of the Wheel Horse that I get on the Husqvarna so I don’t think selling Husq and only keeping the Wheel Horse is much of an option (I have 2 acres to mow, FYI).

I went and looked at the tractor this weekend and it was in worse shape than I thought (or was being told). He had a little bit of a hard time starting it up and once it started there was plenty of backfiring and white smoke. Once it got going the Kohler sounded pretty darn good! The hydros all work but there is plenty of cleaning/tightening/adjusting that needs done. The rear cover that goes over the tires and under the seat is pretty loose and rusted out. The deck has a hole rusted in it and the tiller shaft has some oil seals that are leaking. I figured the tractor would need new plugs and wires, clean the carb and new fluids and filters in addition to odds and ends.  Maybe try and repair the rear cover and repaint? The good news is the tines on the tiller look great and even though the snow blower auger looks like he tried to till the ground with it the auger moves smooth by hand. The cab is also in great shape.  Always stored in a shed and used up to this past winter.

He said they were willing to reluctantly come down to $1500 for me (asking over $2000 online), which is what I was willing to pay until I saw it. I figured the Tiller, snow blower and cab were worth about $600 and the tractor about $600 in this shape. Everything else (roller, cultivator and grade rake) I would sell off and be lucky to get $150 for but that money (and probably more) would go right back into the tractor. I told him $1200 but he’ll have to think about it.

No specific questions, just wanted to see what people thought.  I like the older equipment and enjoy the projects repairing and fixing but I don’t want to buy a money pit.  I don’t really have room for two tractors but I can make room until I build a new barn in a couple years.  I’m mostly looking at this to help cut back on my tilling time.

Thanks!

boovuc

I have to admit that you don't hear much about 418-C's. Made only one year and it does have the Eaton 1100 which is the best hydro WH used in their Garden Tractors. (You need to run that tractor until the tranny is hot and check to make sure it isn't weak). A weak hydro will work great when cold. This would be a must for you to do before you give up your cold cash!

Were all the attachments and the tractor kept inside or outside?

Is the snowblower a single or duel stage? If it's a single stage, is it a short or tall chute model. (Tall chutes are more coveted).

Is the "Grade Rake" a tow behind attachment or are you talking about a grader that attaches where the mower deck sits?

Tough call with the outward appearance and not knowing how much you need to invest to fix, repair and tidy-up everything. A two-stage blower is worth some bucks. Tall-chute single also but not as much as the two-stage and the older short-chute blowers are everywhere. A Wheelhorse belly-mount grader blade is worth some bucks. A tow-behind drag and tangs not so much unless it is a Wheelhorse implement. (Same with the cultivators).

You need to make sure you get EVERYTHING to hook up the tiller to the tractor. Many times the previous owners lose the mule drives, belts, springs, etc that are all part of the attachment. Same goes with the blower. The flag, pulleys, etc.

If you have an upholsterer or in my case, Amish who make their own tarps and do vinyl upholstering, any tears, rips or window/door repairs on a cab can be done and for not too much money. I think 1200 is good in their condition you describe UNLESS he has the two-stage blower and or a belly-mount grader. 

wh500special

I think you're probably right about the Husqvarna being a better (quality of cut) mower. For other tasks, the 418 would probably excel. It is a very heavy duty machine. But it is 30 years old so is going to have little hidden maladies that will crop up along the way.

My primary motive in responding regards the tiller attachment :

For many years I was completely satisfied and loved tilling with the. 36" rear tiller. It did everything I wanted.

Then I bought a really nice Troybilt Horse and gave it a try.

I've never tilled again with the tractor.

At least in my heavy, hard soil conditions I found the TB to work much better. With the 36" tiller I had to strap bundles of asphalt shingles on the thing to get it to do much more than bounce.

Almost everyone else on the planet prefers the WH unit, but I've had at least a half dozen of them and they all did the same jitterbug routine for me in my ground when I lived in central indiana clay. Same thing here in southern illinois.

Your mileage will vary.

Separately , $1200 is probably inline with what you'd expect to pay for a package like that. It's more than I'd go though, but I already have a barnful. I think Boo is right on.

The 418 was a "commercial" model. Meaning no extra gingerbread, bigger tires, and a faster ground speed. The absolute BEST snow plowing tractor WH ever made. Not a common model, but mechanically the twin to many others. Great tractors.

Steve

SOB

To address the comments and questions from boovuc...

The tractor and implements have been stored in a shed.  The blower is a single stage, short chute.  The grade rake is a tow behind but it is a Wheel Horse implement just like the cultivator.

As for the condition of the hydro it seemed to be in good shape but it was cold.  This tractor was used for snow blowing and mowing up until this winter so I would have to assume it's in good shape.  I did notice that the forward/reverse lever defaulted to the forward position.  Meaning when you took your hand off it the tractor crept forward.  I figured this was a simple adjustment.

To wh500special....I also have an old 1981 TroyBilt Horse tiller and I love the thing!  I plan on using the Wheel Horse tiller a couple times a year for large tilling and the horse for more of my "everyday" tilling.  I also have a little Honda tiller for getting into small areas.  Our soil here in central Ohio can have quite a bit of clay in it but I amend my soil quite a bit and have most that clay broken up by now.  Plus, I remember growing up this same tractor and tiller would come till my parents garden every year!

Thanks for the responses guys.  I'll keep you updated as things go and should I buy it I'll be posting pics and asking a number of questions I'm sure!

rexman72

welcome to the site

sirman

When I don't know if anybody is online but I also was very lucky and surprised to purchase a 418 C just got it absolutely love it I am amazed and it is an awesome machine only a few repairs are needed still looking for information

I did not know that they only made those in one year that's pretty cool very rare tractor mine came with a Taylor excellent shape the snow cab excellent shape a snowblower not so good and the mowing deck not so good still very happy need to put a key switch in it and straighten up some wires